Dismiss Notice
Want to stay up to date with Wynncraft? Follow us on twitter (@Wynncraft) and join our discord for fastest news, exclusive sneak peeks of future updates, store giveaways & more!
Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Announcement Making of the Ability Tree

Discussion in 'News & Patches' started by Salted, Jan 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NagisaStreams

NagisaStreams Sertified idiot CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Seeing the ability tree progress was the most fun I have ever had on wynn, especially when I could tell the devs were trying to see how something would function and logging on to see there is now a upgrade to shoot 40 arrows per right click. I also really enjoyed seeing when a problem was raised up that no one could figure out, just for someone would casually suggest a perfect solution no one else had thought of.

starx280, OmegaCKL, Krooza and 3 others like this.
  2. Crouton_18

Crouton_18 Either an Airship Captain or a Masochist CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    This really brings into perspective why you changed labeled the update "2.0" now

JoshLegacy, Gogeta, starx280 and 3 others like this.
  3. Salted

Salted Game Design & Wynncraft Founder Staff Member Admin GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    me shouting "ITS FINE AS IS!" and zeer spending hours to make it 1% better

4. HeyZeer0

HeyZeer0 Wynncraft Developer Staff Member Admin Developer Game Developer Featured Wynncraftian CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    In my defense, the difference between the initial implementation and how it currently works in-game is huge and way better :rage:

5. Raw

Raw Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Very cool salted, had a good time reading this.

6. Hei

Hei The Black Reaper CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    so I'll probably have more to say as I read, but as someone who classbuilds mainly for the guild(s) I'm in quite regularly this popped out at me the most. I agree that the item system is pretty complex and it really is tough in the early to mid game mainly since if you make a build before end game eventually (and Wynn is not a super long game to complete or get to end game compared to many others) it will fall off maybe good for 10 or so levels maybe, I never bothered pre end game and never did it unless specifically requested which doesn't happen often. I wouldn't say building is any harder before end game outside of ability tree restrictions, but it's a lot less necessary when your build will fall off more and more as you progress until it's just not usable anymore. If you have an end game build that works the only things that can really kill it are item updates and some mob alterations. I will say I think there should be a bit more information regarding the item system, I don't know how you'd implement that, but I think the ability tree does help with the problem though it doesn't and probably can't fix it. I am pretty against the morph set and I feel like that's part of the problem with people not interacting with the item system, I think if it's a jack of all trades master of none type deal and it works (able to solo pretty much everything) then people really don't have a reason to switch unless they find it boring which is helped with the ability tree.

I will admit I'm probably one of your biggest critics, but with the exception of assassin (which is a big deal to me since I've been an assassin main for 5 years) you guys have outdone yourselves with the ability tree and helping fix my favorite part of Wynn, gameplay and buildmaking.

This part is a trickster rework proposal that I'm extremely confident in so if you don't care keep scrolling, if you do then feedback is appreciated.

One thing I've been saying since the assassin's rework was announced is please do not keep trickster as a tank/support/cc style class, the clones are amazing, but it does not fit assassin's theme at all and it's a shame because it's the only archetype that uses assassin's true base kit which I love. First off I think Echo and Mirror Image should be combined since it really doesn't make sense that clones attacking is a separate ability to me and it goes along with some nerfs later on. Second would be to put Last Laugh (arguably the coolest ability name in the update) where Echo was and make it so every time a clone dies you get combat buffs (damage, speed and resistance as well as base spell cost reductions once all clones are gone, possible final red ability) and have stronger clones change to stronger buffs (not including spell costs). Because of these changes I think a couple more changes are needed, specifically nerf del gas bonus damage since that would be a bit OP with the new buffs, nerf or remove EHP buff from clones and give that in the buffs instead and then remove lure, again tank/support doesn't really fit assassin's theme and personally I think it'll be a lot harder to rework the class and make it good/enjoyable if this idea sticks. This also makes it so you're the star of the show and not dependent on your clones I thought of trickster as a sinister, psychotic ish archetype if it had a personality and I think clones dying to buff you fits that very well, clones should also die if you take more than 5% max health damage so it works with sandbagging a bit more and doesn't get taken away from a tick of flamethrower, this will make it a little bit harder to get buffs and have more of a sacrifice involved. Some potential alterations would be clone deaths buffing Del Gas so you'd need to be in there to get buffs (and give it larger aoe so you have a bit more space to run around) or Del Gas maybe amplifying the buffs you receive by roughly 10% or something which I prefer between these two. I'm really interested in trickster as I said before because it uses assassin's original kit and I think this change could bring assassin back from the grave.
    Unfortunately I don't have any shade or acro ideas because I really don't like backstab or lacerate personally, but I think they're good for what the archetypes are going for.

Dream likes this.
  7. NagisaStreams

NagisaStreams Sertified idiot CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The ignoring barrier teleport incident...

FelixTape likes this.
  8. SkywardWords

SkywardWords Also known as SkywardWords

Minecraft:
    thanks salted VERY COOL

JoshLegacy and FelixTape like this.
  9. CensingMarker51

CensingMarker51 Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Very well written. You guys are so talented when it comes to updates

FelixTape likes this.
  10. Melkor

Melkor The dark enemy of the world HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I really like seeing these "behind-the-scenes" bits. They help me see why things I might think were a bad idea were done in a certain way for a reason or why a certain feature ended up as-is. I love seeing some transparency in how things are designed and to know more about what goes on behind the scenes.

luckeyLuuk, Dr Zed and MlecznyHuxel99 like this.
  11. Corvusio

Corvusio Dernic civilisation has a deep history ! CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Ok, I understand what you were thinking, but can you actually fix it now ? There are just so many things that are still either partially working or straight up broken.
    And do I have to say it again ? Yes. AGGRO ON PALADIN DOES NOT WORK.

12. CatFan105

CatFan105 Blue guy

Minecraft:
    Thank you Salted, very cool

FelixTape likes this.
  13. Solvay

Solvay Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    ganme developmert,

FelixTape and CoolVictor2002 like this.
  14. TwageTomato

TwageTomato Coder | Like-Giver | Tomato | Musician CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Thank you for taking the time to test this. I remember well all of the fun I used to have- I MEAN trouble I’d get into by teleporting through random walls. Especially at the Great Bridge. Especially there. So many enormous, inescapable pits… so deep… so much /kill…

FelixTape, Krooza and luckeyLuuk like this.
  15. HuynhDucPhu

HuynhDucPhu Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
  16. MoneyChan

MoneyChan Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    Sadly true, but new flashy content will always attract more players. This is why they add 'INCREDIBLE REWORKS' like Galleon's Graveyard (which is too buggy to even play).

The game will always benefit more from fixing the thousands of issues that have piled up, but reading patch notes is no fun when all you see is a page of bug fixes.

Druser likes this.
  17. Fezzic

Fezzic I loved it when Greg said "it's greggin time" CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Make more of these game design threads please please please

JoshLegacy and FelixTape like this.
  18. Theeef

Theeef Self Proclaimed Idiot CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Make something 1% better every day for a year and by the end it would be 37% better. Arguably significant.

JoshLegacy likes this.
  19. Salted

Salted Game Design & Wynncraft Founder Staff Member Admin GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    sure if you have nothing else to do that's more impactful and are ready to spend a lot of money for that 37%

JoshLegacy, Theeef and Druser like this.
  20. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    1% x 365 = 365% not 37%, do not understate Zeer's will to make a single mechanic that is not actually that useful feel good.

JoshLegacy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.