Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Post 1.20.4 thoughts on Wynncraft

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by TravusThaSlime, Sep 27, 2021.

Tags:
?

Do you agree with this?

1. Nearly every single one, yes.

44.2%
  2. Some of it.

47.5%
  3. No, you are wrong mostly.

8.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Lmao you wrote an encyclopedia

2. Druser

Druser ele defs don't matter HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    In fairness, I think the music is competitive with acclaimed titles. But yeah, if this wasn't an MMO in Minecraft (therefore providing interesting novelty factor) the story and quests and such would all be considered pretty poor.

Saya likes this.
  3. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Story yes, I agree, it would be considered pretty poor.
    The actual quest? Not so sure.

In terms of premises and gameplay, for the most part, they actually aren't bad compared to most MMOs if I'm honest.
    Like, in terms of the quest I think of ESO or Final Fantasy, and honestly, they aren't bad compared to those. (Like, I'm actually willing to say I prefer Wynn's quest over ESO's.)
    They're wacky and fun, with generally bad writing and kinda eh gameplay with a couple of expectations every now and then.

Ninja_VK, HalfCat_, ThedumbOX and 3 others like this.
  4. Sg_Voltage

Sg_Voltage 1.18 was the best update, don't @me CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    It's honestly shocking how long the music has been around for too, it's probably one of the most consistently good parts of the game throughout its history, it really sold the vibes the game is going for back when the builds weren't great and now that the builds are great it's just a solid part of the experience.

5. hppeng

hppeng 0 intel is the correct amount of intel HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    alright

apparently I'm a basically bart's puppet

but for the record I was the one who started a DM with @Sg_Voltage . The original goal was for me to ask about his concerns with the item system specifically in a way that wouldn't clutter the thread, and we had a.... conversation of sorts

The full DM details are public in the Atlas Inc. Discord (I can share them with anyone if you want to see it).

Bart was invited to this DM basically on accident after I made a mistake misinterpreting people. that is 100% my fault

but in no way did he want to settle anything in a DM. this is straight misinterpretation

you didn't even go to the person I was the one who started the dm with you...

the context in question btw
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "glad we could have it in DMs instead of spamming a thread"

TL;DR: This was the final point expressed in DMs. DM logs are public again if you want the full unfiltered story dm me

ok

so please stop being a dick about it

praise Saya the IM

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    TravusThaSlime likes this.
  6. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You:
    Also you:

I think the middle two are the most saying of this situation.
    You can try and act like you haven't made a false equivalence, but you literally have, and I'm quoting the times you have.
    You can pretend that this is you saying its the result of the item system being too complicated, but you are quite literally stated, and I quote:
    "If you want to call morph the popular build because it's easy, that's true but it also means you buy into my premise that the item system is needlessly hard because you wouldn't need an easy option if it wasn't"

TravusThaSlime and hppeng like this.
  7. DogeTennant

DogeTennant Famous Adventurer CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I know this is more of a single-player quest system mindset, but I think that the reason why a lot of quests feel like one-off dead ends or like what you said, quests that mention corruption but it's hardly ever built upon is the fact that while we call all of the quests "Main Quests", they're not. By most RPG standards, most of Wynn's quests would be considered side-quests and that's what I think they are. They are called main quests in the game, but they are not, they are side-quests. I don't know how often MMOs do main story questline, as I haven't really played other MMOs, from what I know about World of Warcraft, it doesn't have a general main storyline, but more like Chapters in each location that are considered the main quests of that area and still having side quests around that.
    I know that some people might say that side-quests are the current mini-quests, but once again they are not. Mini quests are exactly what they say they are, mini-quests, not side quests. I would compare mini-quests to something like Treasure Hunt quests or One-off Contracts in Witcher 3.

A lot of Quests in Wynn have almost nothing to bring to the whole story of Wynn and as you said, that's not a bad thing, it's actually good. But people might find them underwhelming just because technically they are a part of "Main Quests" category, while just judging them by their content, they are Side Quests at best, but Wynn has never separated the more important quests and less important quests (and tbh I think that it's understandable)

Ninja_VK, HalfCat_, SpKirby and 6 others like this.
  8. Waffflle

Waffflle Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    on god the dialogue is beyond stupid and the admins need to fix all raid bugs + listen to the actual PLAYERS before doing new shit

TravusThaSlime likes this.
  9. Sg_Voltage

Minecraft:
    "my premise that the item system is needlessly hard because you wouldn't need an easy option if it wasn't."

When I said that, I assumed you agreed with it and was asking how you could disagree with almost every single thing I said if the most important thing I said was something you apparently agreed with. Since you never said anything about that topic in your initial post, which in hindsight is weird because it's what basically every post I've made was about so far,

"I don't really understand", "essentially" and especially "Do those sound like things that would happen if the system wasn't overly complicated?" are all signs that I don't understand your point of view because if I did, I wouldn't be asking for why you feel the way you do. I'm still wondering actually since you still haven't offered an actual defence of the item system, you just keep going on and on about random other stuff and arguing about stuff which is either completely unrelated or completely irrelevant. I'm not equating anything to anything else either, the only one which does that is the first and I only said that because again, I was under the impression we were past that point agreed on the issue which I said I was wrong for doing twice now.
    That message was specifically a reply to you, not to Bart. The screenshot even shows that I specifically replied to you by quoting you, I don't have any idea how you could think that was meant for Bart.

This is the last (sort of) and one of the only messages I sent in the conversation directed to Bart;
    Firefox_Screenshot_2021-10-03T05-23-07.767Z.png
    I think I was very clear that I did not want to have a conversation with him in DM's. I also quoted him and not you because it was for him, not you. I also want to point out the stark difference in how I addressed him compared to you because while I was happy to talk it out in the DM's with you, that wasn't the case for Bart.

You're also the one who specifically told me before Bart joined that he wanted to join the DM conversation to settle the discussion multiple times which I refused multiple times on the grounds that I didn't want to have private conversations with people working on the game. This is all before Bart joined by the way;

Firefox_Screenshot_2021-10-03T05-06-20.188Z.png

Firefox_Screenshot_2021-10-03T05-08-29.530Z.png

You were the one who told me he didn't want to reply on the thread because he didn't want it to be locked. If that's not something he said, you shouldn't have told me it was. I was also very clear that I thought that's what he wanted and you didn't say anything to quell those thoughts, only after bart was added was it clear that he didn't plan on trying to settle things in DMs, but he also mentioned that he read everything I had previously wrote in our convo so I have no reason to think he didn't just change his mind.

As for the last part of my post, that had nothing to do with your and his conversations, Bart said in our little chat that there was an issue in the past which was resolved and he said he would mention it in his post which he didn't and I'm curious about it;
    Firefox_Screenshot_2021-10-03T05-11-20.563Z.png
    I think other people should be curious about it too.

I'm not being a dick about it, I'm asking for him to talk about the thing he said he would talk about and I only mentioned it because he ended his post by asking if there was anything he missed... Also, this shit is the reason why I don't like DM's, because people selectively crop out parts to make it seem like they're in the right when they're not. I also don't appreciate this attempted call out, it accomplishes literally nothing and just kind of makes you not trustworthy to me, not that you would care.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    hppeng likes this.
  10. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    Okay to be fair though what story based around Minecraft is good or compelling? Even Tell Tale Games couldn't do it. I mean how are you supposed to take anything seriously when every character is a blocky gingerbread man?

Plus I genuinely think they improved Gavel story wise; the province didn't have any discoveries and RoL questline wasn't even finished for years. As for the story as a whole... I mean yeah it's MMO based on Minecraft. There really isn't anything they can do beyond irony and charm. Which is why people like Misadventure on the Sea and Death in Beyond the Grave.

11. Druser

Druser ele defs don't matter HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Thing is, there are definitely good stories or at least concepts once in a while in Wynncraft. A good writer can and should be able to turn just about anything into a good story - one of the best stories I've ever read in any medium is a sports manga about an obscure card game.

12. MineMasterRC

MineMasterRC Skilled Adventurer VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    To you all with your 1000 word arguments (Voltage Guy and Saya)

Dont Care+ Didnt ask + Its just a video game + Ratioed

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    GreenRosmarus and ThedumbOX like this.
  13. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    To that I would like to add that the premise is the player being a Ragni soldier, not some hero who saves the world (the fact we mess up is completely different thing).
    After all, as the first quest itself says, we are the "king's recruit".
    Although I definitely wouldn't mind it, we technically do not need a questline about saving the world. We are not supposed to do it.

Also yes, I think we need more Corruption-related quests, but they do not have to be necessarily "main".

14. Nynnf

Nynnf Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    What I've noticed is that @Saya and @Sg_Voltage type a bit too much, there's just like 5 pages of just them, walls of text.

15. DaCorruption

DaCorruption Serves Dern.

Minecraft:
    i would love quests that dont have much lore importance but they just build on the world of wynn, so like worldbuilding quests
    theres quests that already do this mind you, but as you said expanding on the corruption’s effects, spread, and the different ways its affected the people of wynn over the past 1000 years would be cool as hell

cmosier, Uniimog, DogeTennant and 2 others like this.
  16. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    Corruption rework when

17. DaCorruption

DaCorruption Serves Dern.

Minecraft:
    never :smilingimp:

MineMasterRC likes this.
  18. Sg_Voltage

Minecraft:
    I guess we've just got a lot to say :)

Druser, starx280 and Nynnf like this.
  19. Nynnf

Nynnf Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    You are a professional complainer I guess.

20. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    One major obstacle Minecraft based stories have is the complete absence of characters to work with. In this case, it’s the absence of party members. Most RPGs have some sort of core cast or party members that stick with you throughout the game, which allows for character depth and development. Good examples of this are Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door or Deltarune or literally any JRPG. However, bc it’s also a MMO, that core cast is replaced by other players. Which doesn’t work in the same way bc players aren’t tied to the world and story as NPCs are, and players can be without friends. Combined with Wynncraft’s episodic nature, it’s why a lot of quests feel disjointed and not immersive. And it’s also why players have asked for more recurring characters and why people dislike the new paper Mario games bc they cut out unique party members.

And all of this is just one inherent problem of many that holds back Wynncraft and Minecraft based stories as a whole. I could go on about how the inability to select dialogue, no character emotes or animations, the difficulty of taking anything seriously, the constant status quo, etc., but given how long most posts in this thread have been I’ll save ya’ll some reading.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    That_Chudley and MineMasterRC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.