Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Guide How The Sprint Duration And Sprint Regeneration Stats Work

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by Turbostratus, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbostratus

Turbostratus Newbie Adventurer Media CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I'm sure y'all are familiar with the newly added leggings called Mirror's Edge:
    upload_2019-12-17_20-12-18.png

They give a hefty sprint duration and regen bonus, but you're probably wondering how significant are these stats? How does one effectively and accurately compare Mirror's Edges' against each other to decide which one is better? These are the sorts of questions I hope to answer using in this thread.

1. The Impact of Sprint Duration:
    Timer Start: 1st frame sprint bar appears
    Timer End: 1st frame sprint bar goes red

upload_2019-12-17_20-14-15.png
    I was originally planning to use my ingame timer, and start the timer as soon as my fov changes (aka the instant I begin sprinting) along with ending the timer the moment my fov went back to normal (aka the instant I'm physically no longer able to sprint), but instead I switched to a timer overlay in video editing along with starting the timer on the first frame the sprint bar appears, and stopping the timer on the first frame the sprint bar goes red. I made this decision because I believe this will result in a more accurate and precise comparison.

Default Sprint Duration: 37.004s
    +63% Sprint Duration: 53.005s
    +65% Sprint Duration: 54.005s

A mere 2% drop in Sprint Duration causes you to lose a full second of sprinting, so if you want to seriously draw out the potential of your speed build, getting a mirror's edge as close as possible to max sprint duration is essential. However, if your mindset aligns more closely to "I just want the sprint boosts" then 50%+ should be sufficient, and 60%+ should be plenty.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. The Impact of Sprint Regen:
    Timer Start: 1st frame sprinting ends
    Timer End: Compare frames at 16.110s

Results:
    upload_2019-12-17_20-12-25.png
    My plan was to keep on sprinting, even past the sprint bar going red, even past the mana bar draining from the sprint bar being emptied. I started the timer immediately when my fov (field of view) changed - this was my visual indicator that I could react to very quickly to see that my sprint had ended and thus granting more accurate results.

For ending the timer, my original plan was to grab the first frame the sprint bar appears for each recording, but then that would result in different times (eg: 15.902, 16.124, 15.876 - you get the idea). I wanted the timer to end at the same point for all 4 recordings, so I changed my plan instead to grab the first frame the sprint bar appears on the last recording where the sprint bar appears, and see what the timer was at that point - that point was 16.110s. There may be some minor imperfections, I'm predicting an approx ~100ms inaccuracy, but it was accurate enough to demonstrate how much of a difference the +sprint regen stat makes.

From this we can see that +20% Sprint regen has allowed us to regenerate an extra letter's worth of sprint over the span of 15 seconds when comparing the top 2 bars, and the bar has filled up much faster than the natural sprint regeneration, but what does all of that mean?

2.1 Explaining the 2 Sprint Bars at the Bottom:
    The 2 bars at the bottom, despite how it may appear, are regenerating sprint at the same rate. They both have a +0% sprint regen stat, but the sprint bar right at the bottom has a -15% sprint duration stat. I originally had a theory that the sprint regeneration had a default time of x seconds - meaning that if your sprint duration was increased, then your natural sprint regen would also get automatically boosted to the point where the time taken for the sprint bar to be fully refilled would always be the same as long as you didn't change your sprint regen stat.

However, my theory was proven wrong and by the looks of things the sprint duration stat does not affect your natural sprint regeneration at all. This is proven by comparing the bars at the bottom because if this was true, then the 2 bars at the bottom would be refilled to the exact same point after the 16 seconds.

2.2 The Sprint Bar Illusion:
    It's important to remember that +115% and the +86% sprint regen came from a pair of leggings that also have around +60% sprint duration. The reason why I mention this is because having high +%sprint duration with default sprint regen means that it will take longer for your sprint bar to refill, but it doesn't mean that you're regenerating sprint slower - it just appears that way.

Rather than thinking how much your sprint bar is refilled by a portion or percentage (eg: "my bar is 50% full, now it's 75% full) think of that current state as an imaginary number, which I will refer to as X in this example scenario. When your sprint bar is empty, X = 0, when your sprint bar is 30% full, X = 30, and when your Sprint Bar is 100% full, X = 100. The number that X is would have to go from 0 to 100 to fill up your sprint bar. let's just say for example sake that your natural sprint regen is X increasing by +10 per second. With this logic, it would take you 10 seconds for your sprint bar to refill - but what if you also had a +100%sprint duration stat? This would now mean that when your sprint bar is empty, X = 0, when your sprint bar is 30% full, X = 60, and when your sprint bar is 100% full, X = 200. Now you need to go from 0 to 200 for your sprint bar to refill, and since you still regenerate sprint at +10 per second, it will now take you 20 seconds for your sprint bar to refill. You regenerate your sprint at the same rate, but your sprint bar takes longer to refill because it has a larger capacity.

This 'illusion' is essentially a visual thing. +% sprint duration makes it take longer for your sprint bar to refill, and +sprint regen makes it take less time for your sprint bar to refill - but the only thing that actually influences how quickly you gain sprint is the +%sprint regeneration stat.

I hope the example helps out, and sorry if it's too confusing to understand. If that is the case, my advice is for you to fully concentrate on the example scenario and the numbers and... hopefully that works. And last of all, I hope the guide helps and and thanks for reading :D

And if you don't like reading, I also made a video on this:

You can skip to 0:43 if you only want to see the informative stuff

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  2. SnapDoomy

SnapDoomy Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    i think this should be on the top section of the thread

coolname2034 and Turbostratus like this.
  3. Rice & Uno

Rice & Uno pinnacle of skill issue

Minecraft:
    thank you turbo, very cool
    but really, that’s pretty interesting and good to know!

Turbostratus likes this.
  4. Turbostratus

Turbostratus Newbie Adventurer Media CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I would, although I made this forums post for those who prefer the forums over youtube vids

SnapDoomy likes this.
  5. PlasmaWarrior

PlasmaWarrior Fishomancer HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I sold mine for half a stack of LE

Apparently I had one of the best in the game

6. __Excel

__Excel i like cats VIP+

Minecraft:
    Woah i thought only @Druser does this level of maths and stuffs
    congratz on joining druser gang