Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Top 10 Interesting Item Concepts I've Made As An Im

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by SilverMirror, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverMirror

SilverMirror Retired IM HERO

Minecraft:
    Hi, I want to feel relevant so I am making this post.

Ok for real, I was organising my files a few days ago and found the old document I used make items with, a document of 100+ pages of items, notes and concepts. I figured it might be fun to share some of them with the community I used to be in, and I hope some of you from the class builds community would find them interesting.

I will also outline some of the conceptual flaws that made them fail to be a good item if I can remember. Please bare in mind that a lot of these concepts are 1-2 years old and was created before a lot of mechanics, items or rebalances was made.

Here are the top 10 interesting item concepts I've made when I was an IM.

1. The Forbidden Value (Helmet)
    One of the biggest and oldest meme of the Item Team. For those of you who are from way back you might remember before a time I was an IM I used to self proclaim myself as a "melee enthusiast", and have made a lot of threads about how the melee combat and melee items can be improved in Wynncraft. Forbidden Value was one of my oldest creation stemming from that era.

Forbidden Value was an endgame helmet that gives +1 tier for Earth and Fire element, with a focus of giving miscellaneous effects and tankiness such as high health, good elemental defense with -melee and spell drawback. The name is obviously a parody of how tier attack speed used to be absurdly saraced in the item pool, and the helmet itself aims to be a counter part to centipede by focusing on literally everything else other than damage and speed. The easy access of it being a Earth/Fire item also made it be an acceptable alternative to centipede to use with slow attack speed weapons.

The concept ultimately failed due to it not fitting to element combo, as well as a mess of execution in general.

2. Durandal (Rare Dagger)
    A little known piece that I've made for entertainment. A no req endgame dagger with superslow attack speed and have higher than base attack damage. The dagger have mana regen, mana steal, melee damage, lifesteal and speed, with harsh penalty on health regen, intel and agility.

The dagger serves two purpose, an interesting twist on stealth dagger, the IDs supposingly encourage a sort of in and out playstyle, going into invisibility and reposition, and then hit the target to get the stealling effects, and repeat. The other purpose is to act as a support weapon for Earth, Thunder or Fire offensive playstyle.

The concept was scrapped due to the lack of clarity in the execution.

3. The Cupola Rings Concept
    I'm pretty proud of this myself, a ring that is essentially a +1 attack speed ring with a set effect of -1 attack speed, meaning whether you equip one or equip two of them you'll always only get +1 attack speed. But the draw is, the ring itself provide speed and reduces melee damage, kinda like a weaker option of breezehand, but when using both, the set bonus will drastically reduce speed and increases melee damage and provide skill points, turning you into a turret.

The concept behind this is to make attack speed, or the ring itself, a playstyle augment. Using one strengthens the quick attack playstyle while reducing damage, you can also use it with breezehands to get +2 attack speed on your rings, usable with any attack speed playstyle. If you use two of the same ring you will have your damage refunded and massively boosted as well as receiving utility effects that benefits the old melee playstyle, but turns you into a turret with no mobility, best used with melee archer or with statue.

The concept was scrapped due to set bonus on using the same item twice is not ideal or clear to the player (eg black catalyst), as well as the prospect of having another +tier ring is quite risky.

4. The Fool (Helmet)
    New Game Plus Wynncraft style. Only purchasable in a noob-proved hidden area in ahmserd and purchasable only by completing certain endgame quest. It is a level 1 Helmet with massive boost in XP, Loot, and Damage, but massive penalty in Health, Health Regen and Speed. The concept is to be equipped for players on their subsequent playthroughs as additional challenges, like a NG+ mode (HIC doesnt exist back then we're talking about 2 years old concepts here).

The concept was scrapped due to the execution (the merchant and stuff) being too bothersome to make.

5. Blank Canvos (Armor)
    A +tier undecided piece of armor with +50% melee and spell as well as raw damage of the two but -50% elemental damage counterbalancing. Serves as a gimmick piece of +tier armor and promotes niche playstyle of neutral gaming. Ultimately scrapped due to not being practical at all. Still fun tho.

6. Injection (Leggings)
    Taurus Leggings, serves as the counterpart of taurus for leggings but instead of melee damage% to counter the negative tier, it will have large poison and life steal as well as some raw melee damage. The idea was that it will be like injecting a large dose of poison to your enemy for every melee hit. Scrapped due to not enough item slos for gimmick items at the time.

7. The Feint (Dagger)
    The Feint was originally part of a set of quad weapons which didn't become. The concept was to be an agility overload secondary weapon for the user to hold but it would have penalty for prolong usage as well as offering minimal damage. The usage of the weapon was for elemental coverage as well as use as a secondary stealth weapon for getting pass a crowd of high level mobs for example with the high amount of agility. The concept is scrapped due to potentially being too overpowered or prominent.

8. Guan Dao (Spear)
    Sold in a non-existing oriental merchant unlockable only after completing the Dojo quest, the player can purchase a selection of Level 90 endgame legendary weapons themed around oriental legends. Guan Dao is a endgame legendary Earth/Fire spear with a 90/90 req but gives massive Strength and Defense Skill Point bonus on top of it. The Spear comes with no spell penalty and no walkspeed (unlike all other earth/fire spear of that era), but instead have massive -Dex and -Agi skill points.

The concept serves two purpose, 1. There are no viable/good Earth/Fire Spear despite the astounding amount of earth and fire spears at that level range, and 2. Most Earth/Fire spears are very bland and penalised heavily in uncreative ways. The concept was ultimately scrapped due to the oriental merchant doesnt exist at the end.

9. Victim (Armor)
    A Earth-Thunder armor piece with high penalty on health and Earth/Thunder elemental defense. The concept was made to be an interesting piece of damage gear as it would have no skill points requirement but the players would have to deal with the health and the elemental weakness so it is a slappable sort of Earth/Thunder gear. Similar concepts were later broken down to other Earth/Thunder gears, and this was dubbed too extreme and slappable.

10. The Poet Set
    A concept made around dual wielding (yes). The set is made up of two daggers and a bracelet. Both Daggers are around level 80s and have a Strength/Intel requirement of 50/50 and the bracelet have a requirement of 45/45 that gives +5 skill points on both Strength and Intel, with -5 Skill points on the other element. As the player switch between Dagger A and Dagger B, it will activate different set bonus with the bracelet. The daggers also have innate drawbacks and perks that require the player to switch between Dagger A and B for maximum efficiency.

Dagger A, Sound of the Constant Rain, is a pure water spell dagger with -mana regen, counterbalanced by the set bonus between it and the bracelet. However it also have -health regen, which require the player to switch to Dagger B to regain lost health after using Dagger A too much.

Dagger B, Shower of the Fallen Petals, is a pure earth melee dagger with -walk speed, counterbalanced by the set bonus between it and the bracelet. It also have positive Health Regen that allows the player to gain health back from using Dagger A. However, Dagger B have mana steal penalty which will cause a problem when melee too much, which is counterbalanced by switching back to Dagger A which gives net +mana regen.

The main challenge of this set was to get the player to use both daggers like a dual wielding playstyle and the bracelet acts as an anchor point, which is pretty good conceptually but can easily be confusing if the player are not wellversed with items or only receive part of the set. There are means to solve this problem, such as putting them as merchant drop. This set ended up not existing as there are too many earth and water daggers for the intended level range, as well as just not offering as much excitement in practice as it would on paper.

Woo-wee that was a journey through memory lane. One thing I noticed is the naming of my items reflected my interests at the time. Such as a period of time where I was really into making items with anime reference, then a period of time where I think item names are too edgy and needed to be more practical, a period of time where I was into Dark Souls and made a lot of references to them.

Another thing I noticed is how the way I make items have changed over the course of the me being an IM, from a noob IM testing crazy and flawed concepts, to a down-to-earth IM that tried to bring life to each and every item creations, to the systematic IM manager that focuses on efficiency and practicality. It really was a crazy two years spent on this minecraft server, I truly experienced a lot of growth as a person during this time.

It was quite interesting reading the doc and writing this post.

2. blow w

blow w Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Epic gaming

BqwaOLD likes this.
  3. BqwaOLD

BqwaOLD Famous Adventurer

Minecraft:
    These are all pretty cool ideas. I know ur not on the team anymore, but are we allowed to post item ideas in general suggestions?

4. NicBOMB

NicBOMB Maker of Builds | Lurks on Forums | 1 Mythic Found CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    ???Accelerator for ur head???
    Balancing a stat by not providing items with it is weird. I think more items should have +tier / be introduced with +tier.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Druser likes this.
  5. tig

tig "Because EO parkour killed my grandma, OK???"

Minecraft:
    The duel wielding set concept sounds really cool, kinda sad it wasnt added

6. Dondasch

Dondasch Hadal gaming HERO

Minecraft:
    Reading these designs reminded me how I submitted a lv 22 water/fire leggings named crab legs with speed on it and you gave me a 4 even though speed isn't a water/fire trait because you had to agree that crabs are in fact quite fast

I mean good post, very insightful

7. Major_Lue

Major_Lue Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    sometimes you gotta just have fun

we could make everything strict to what this is and what that should be, but gimmicks and nonsense are fun

Dondasch and JaydonTheWarrior like this.
  8. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I feel like most items need a gimmick to even stand out, or else there generic and kinda boring to use.

Druser likes this.
  9. Druser

Druser ele defs don't matter HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    right?

(btw I really hate Corsair)

10. Jbip

Jbip yea QA GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    damn that fool item would be actually really useful!

I'm also in love with that poet set idea, kinda sad it's not been implemented :(

Iboju likes this.
  11. The Fool

The Fool Nobody Wants to Know Him HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Can I copystrike SilverMirror?

Crokee, starx280, Iboju and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.