Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Ragnar... As In Ragnarök?

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by Retathrah, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retathrah

Retathrah Retired Nostalgia Hunter, Tired Metalworker CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    NOTE: This is 100% non-backed speculation. This is just me making an idea for a possible part of the overall main storyline of WC.

So, in thinking of Ragnar’s name and why it sounded like something was there but also not, I realised that Ragnarök, the Norse apocalypse, could be referenced with Ragnar’s name. But why?

As Ragnarök is an interpretation of the apocalypse, I thought of many “what-ifs” given this and how it could be used in the main storyline, given this is something the CT and owners thought of going with:
    • What if Ragnar through whatever becomes a second general like Bak’al which put forth Wynn’s apocalypse into the motion?
    • What if Ragnar is a spy who is truely fighting on the Enemy’s side, but faces against Bak’al and his army to give false hope as a form of torture and mind game made by Bak’al on the Wynnic people?
    • What if Ragnar is trying to redeem himself for cruel acts from his past by becoming a hero of Wynn, but is ultimately cursed to bare a name to an apocalypse and he eventually puts forth/causes an apocalypse by some kind of mgistake he had no intentions to do.
    I’ll probably make a few more overtime, but what do you guys think in regards to Ragnar having connections to being a bringer of the Apocalypse? I know there’s not much backing, but let’s have some fun with directions the main storyline could go in this regard, or even whether or not you agree with this idea as to Ragnar’s name means something more than it being just a name.

euouae, mouldy, Trash and 2 others like this.
  2. Robbee

Robbee Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    "Ragnar" is just a normal scandinavian name. It means something like "army-consultant", which also fits for his position.
    So I don't think that there is any intended connection to "Ragnarök".

ThomAnn100, Thunder, euouae and 8 others like this.
  3. yellowscreen

yellowscreen Certified Lurker

Minecraft:
    One question.

Since when has wynn had anything to do with Norse mythology?

4. Retathrah

Minecraft:
    Oh? Alright, that’s believable and reasonable.
    Since never, but it’s not the Norse depiction it was more an apocalypse that Ragnar could cause; it’s a tie to an apocalypse through norse myth, and a tie to the norse apocalypse itself.

5. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    i thought the name came from the fact we have a city called "Ragni"

ThomAnn100 likes this.
  6. Azepie

Azepie oof VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Oof,
    I sure do like that name, it gives me a scandinavic feeling.

7. Japan2

Japan2 Well-Known Adventurer

Guild:
    Ragnar I think is a more recent character, as sort of revealed from something a citizen of Nemract says:

"A thousand years ago, just south of here, Ancient Nemract was once a shining Human city. Now, it is only ruins. When the corruption first broke out, zombies swarmed the city. It was the first town to be destroyed by the undead. I've heard that zombies tend to gather near a large tree in the fallen city. Why are they so attracted to it, I wonder? Maybe we should ask Ragnar to investigate."

His coords are 170,41,-2173 and he said this to my level 24 hunter.

This dialogue implies that he is still alive and in Wynn, and that he's a figure of some sort of power or responsibility. He is someone the people of Wynn can turn to. Perhaps more will be developed in the next few updates. Additionally, in the king's recruit quest, there are Ragni outskirt residents who mostly say useless things, but one of them mentioned him and implied he was still alive. [​IMG]

8. sdkgjnio

sdkgjnio hod-SOH-nee-uhs

Minecraft:
    Or what if he's fighting the corruption on behalf of Dern and the Eye, because it's become a nuisance to them too and is no longer doing much damage in Wynn? Clearing the way for an invasion, maybe?

Retathrah likes this.
  9. Darkdragon902

Darkdragon902 Command Block Addic-I mean Enthusiast VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    That part instantly reminded me of this quote.
    "Why the charade? Running around dressed like The Flash?"

"To give people hope, Detective."

"Hope?"

"So I could rip it away from them. It's so fun pretending to be a hero."

Retathrah likes this.
  10. mouldy

mouldy heheheha

Minecraft:
    is this a necropost

11. Rawb

Rawb Disciple of Bak'al

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I dont think it is since its still about the topic

Also Im pretty sure in a trailer there was a cutscene where Ragnar was fighting Bak'al in Ragni

12. Retathrah

Minecraft:
    He is a recent character, though he is not in-game yet, i was thinking of interesting ways he could affect the story. Since it’s been so long i’ve considered it just a crazy thing that’s most likely not gonna happen.

Not gonna lie it only dawned onto me because i just finished watching a playthrough of God of War. God of War shows is the extent to my knowledge of norse mythology, and since i consider this idea in hindsight a bit too far of a reach, i’m not gonna look much further. That is until the next update (or few after) shows signs this could be the route WC takes with Ragnar.

13. Japan2

Japan2 Well-Known Adventurer

Guild:
    I looked at an old thread last night about this and they were talking about Ragnar back in 2015 so maybe it will take longer before we find anything 0ut about him. He probably is some kind of leader in the war going on now, rather than a thousand years ago with Bob. Additionally, I found another citizen talking about him and I figured I would add it here:

"Welcome back to Detlas. I heard the news from Maltic, apparently you saved the town. Usually we would ask Ragnar to tackle something like that, but you did just fine!" His coords are 413,67,-1580, right outside of Detlas, and he said this to my level 25 hunter after I completed that one quest in Maltic. I'm curious if he mentions Ragnar in his dialogue before you complete that quest, as the citizens change what they say depending on what quests you've completed obviously.

If we're going to find out anything more on him and his possible though unlikely connection to the Norse, we should start including any mentions of him.

14. Rawb

Rawb Disciple of Bak'al

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm pretty sure he just welcomes you to Detlas if you haven't finished Maltic's Well yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.