Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'Nemract's Bar' started by Quint, May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Oh, I thought this was a joke thread...
    Ok, to add something serious, I think that if you or a loved one has dementia you should let them die at some point (either when they forget themselves or others or can’t eat by themselves). I’m not a full supporter of assisted suicide, but the reason why I think it’s ok to let someone die with dementia versus ALS or cancer is that that person with dementia is already dead and can’t feel any real joy. At least if you have a disease that only affects the body you can still experience joy and recognize your loved ones. Trying to keep people with dementia alive just delays the inevitable and puts immense emotional, physical, and financial strain on both their families and themselves. So what does it do to keep them alive for a few more years?

And even if you argue that it’s against God’s will or something, A) Then we shouldn’t have cured any disease or B) Then you shouldn’t try to feed them or do any action to keep them alive bc it’s “God’s will.”

Just my thoughts.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    ThomAnn100, Tisaun and Reminiscent_ like this.
  2. Stormarend

Stormarend The classes DO NOT correspond with the elements.

Minecraft:
    How do people know what God wants anyway?

And yes, this is a genuine question. I've heard the "it's God's will" so many times and I want to know if they're just pulling it out of their asses or if they actually believe it and more importantly what makes them believe that.

Aya, ThomAnn100 and Tisaun like this.
  3. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    They don’t; they claim that it’s unknowable but then use it to justify when they don’t want to take action. They probably do believe it to help them cope with emotional situations. Though honestly, faith is a terrible value. I’m not saying you can’t brlueve in God or a high power, just that you shouldn’t believe in anything for no reason. Believing in something just for the sake of it while ignoring evidence or your own observations is an extremely dangerous way of thinking bc people can easily manipulate you like in 1984 and religious cults.

ThomAnn100 and Tisaun like this.
  4. Spore999

Spore999 Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    I don't think anyone believes in anything for no reason. People believe in religion so they can feel that they have purpose, people believe in the death penalty because they think that some people deserve to die. No one believes something or acts without a reason.

5. Gebis8

Gebis8 Lost

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    B209E749-2416-4802-AECF-7DE005402A5E.jpeg

ThomAnn100 likes this.
  6. EgdarTheRuiner

EgdarTheRuiner Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Not a joke. Baby isn’t that awful of a song.

7. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    What I meant by that is believing in something without testing it and/or gathering proof and your own observations. Sure, the reason you could believe in something is that someone else told you or holds the same belief, but that doesn’t make it true. Likewise, people fall into circular reasoning or logical fallacies. For example, the claim is that God is real because the Bible says so. Since God wrote the Bible, it must be true. So yes, people do technically have a reason, it’s just that they either A) Don’t challenge it or B) Restate the claim as their reason and fall into logical fallacies.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    ThomAnn100 likes this.
  8. I brought snacks

I brought snacks Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    native american culture is going to result in chaos, death, and destruction. I'm not joking, I actually have reasoning behind this lmao. ofc where I live, people are extremely left leaning and would be proud to consider themselves feminists. I don't exactly have a problem with that, you believe whatever you want to believe, idc, but this didn't make me very popular with my close-to-SJW-hipster teacher when he forced us all to read Braiding Sweetgrass. -_- what a waste of time.
    How I look at it, Braiding Sweetgrass, or B.S. you'll get it eventually. 'BS'

Another probably unpopular opinion, that some cultures are better for humanity than others. Kind of ties into what I'm saying ^ above. I read an article about someone supporting this in the NYT. The funny thing is, the NYT is left-leaning, but the article about some cultures being superior, which might be considered more of a right-leaning idea, was in the NYT. I guess we'll never know why.

Anyways. the guy was having a conversation with someone else at this convention, I believe, and he said,

"Wouldn't it make sense that some cultures are better for humanity than others?"

She said, "Not necessarily."

He continued, "What if there was some tribal culture somewhere that was ritually blinding every third child in each family? That's cruel and unfair."

She answered with, "It would depend on why they're doing it." In the article, he said that his jaw literally dropped open. Anyways, you get the point. Doesn't it kind of make sense, that some cultures might be simply safer for humanity? Like if there were ten people who were magically brought into existence with some sort of high knowledge, what cultures would they pick to be the cultures of the world? I really do not want to offend anyone, I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry this is just my opinion it's nothing personal I guess.

ask if youd like the answer to my reasoning, I just don't want to get into a huge debate about it. Also, it's nothing religious, as I'm an atheist.

9. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    You have to define culture a bit more since its meaning depends on the context. Obviously no average Joe would be O.K. with child sacrifice, but that's outlandish and has nothing to do with Native American culture. What do you not like about it? And how do you think it would result in chaos, death, and destruction? You can't just say a blanket statement like that and assume that every Native American shares the same values, experiences, and lifestyles. For one thing I find it extremely hard to believe that a nearly wiped out group of people living in remote parts of the country could have much influence at all, if any. I rarely hear anything about Native Americans in the news, and never about how they are ruining society.

10. I brought snacks

I brought snacks Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    I'm going to continue this in a PM, if that's ok? I just don't want to stir up trouble :/

11. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    Whatever you're comfortable with, but you don't really need to do that. It's good discuss ideas in the open.

12. ALazyBones

ALazyBones Laziest Pile of Bones Alive

Minecraft:
    Spaghetti is GROSS
    Broccoli is amazing

Dr Zed, Aya, H0Y and 1 other person like this.
  13. Daniel Clapham

Daniel Clapham Well-Known Adventurer

When my teacher says Art created science....

14. Elephat

Elephat hi HERO

Minecraft:
    careful, you'll become most disliked on the forums at this rate

15. Stormarend

Stormarend The classes DO NOT correspond with the elements.

Minecraft:
    But now that science is already a thing, what's art good for?

16. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    literally everything related to entertainment

Dr Zed likes this.
  17. Kaytherine

Kaytherine Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    pouring milk in before dry cereal is the way to go
    eating ice is relatively similar to drinking cold water
    poptarts are disgusting
    whipping and dabbing are expressive actions
    singleplayer minecraft is so much more fun than multiplayer
    skype is better than discord
    wearing wet socks is very comfortable
    pizza is overrated
    quantity over quality
    wearing expensive brands is unrewarding
    EQ is more important than IQ
    twilight was a great screenplay
    spiderman (tom holland) in Avengers infinity war deserved it
    movies are accurate portrayals of relevant events
    ignorance is strength
    flip phones are the best kind of phones out there
    country music is underrated
    hookups are a waste of time
    edating isn't risky
    fart jokes and yomama jokes are comical
    romcom isn't cliche/cheesy at all
    age gaps ultimately do not matter in relationships
    babies are ugly
    mineplex has a better overall in-game experience than hypixel

and last but not least..
    upload_2018-6-3_22-28-55.png
    this outfit takes the cake

most weren't my own

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  18. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    Thank god

19. Quint

Quint least estrogenated scripter HERO GM

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    I agree with the pizza thing. also, the yomama and fart jokes are in fact shit. I do like tom holland. also fuckin hate babies.

20. Kaytherine

Kaytherine Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    I
    LOVE
    TOM
    HOLLAND
    !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.