Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Lore/Story Angels And Demons: Chapter 19

Discussion in 'Your Work' started by Amun_Ra, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amun_Ra

Amun_Ra 『One Who Steals the Principle of Fire』

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Hub thread: https://forums.wynncraft.com/threads/angels-and-demons-a-legends-story-hub-wynncraft-novel.163016/
    Previous chapter: https://forums.wynncraft.com/threads/angels-and-demons-chapter-17.174231/

Chapter 19: Reawakening of Old
    ~Nicolas~

"Hey." I look back at Katherine. "You okay?"

The elf stand with her side leaning on the doorway to the crypt. She nods weakly.

The Priest, Luke and I walk up to the big grave. "This just... appeared?" Luke asks. I nod. "All the air seemed to be sucked into this point, then when we looked back, it was there."

"Well," The Priest says. "This is where Sayleros's brother has been buried."

We look down into the grave. It is lined with objects; accessaries, chests, and scrolls.

"Sayleros sent us to get his brother's will." I say. The Priest nods, then reach down into the grave. He picks up a dusty parchment, and lifts it up. He check the contents, then roll it up and hand it to me.

"That should do it." Luke nods. "What about his ashes?"

Sayleros's brother's ashes are on the ground, piled up.

The Priest closes his eyes. "It is only right that we bury his ashes back. It should be safe in the form."

"What about the other bodies?" I ask. "Might they come alive?"

"They might." The Priest says. "But as long as nobody enters this place, they should bring us no harm. Sayleros's Brother, however... Something terrible was possessing his body."

"Do you have any idea what it was?" Luke asks. The Priest sighs deeply.

"I have a guess." He says, and looks at us with a solemn expression. "A guess only, however. Though I advice you: don't visit the Ancient Nemract ever again. That I tell you, and no more. If I find concrete proof, I shall contact you."

The Priest turns back towards the doorway. "I will prepare for the purification of this crypt. When you're ready, leave this place." He says, then walks out of the room.

I sigh and look down at the ashes of Sayleros's brother. The Priest's reaction made me nervous: he knew something that he didn't tell us. As I watch, the ashes starts to glow. They move around, even though there is no wind, and form a pattern on the ground. I gasp, and nudge Luke. "Kass!" I also call at Katherine. I felt bad for calling her when she was so obviously hurt, but it was urgent.

Katherine sighs deeply as she reaches us both. The elf places her hand on my shoulder to keep her balance.

"What's wrong?" She asks, looking at me and Luke's expressions. Then she looks down at what we are looking at.

The ashes has formed a series of Wynnic Runes. I can now read it easily: it read, "PLACE". Under the runes is the number '3'.

"We found the third artefact." Luke mutters.

"Earn your place." I say, connecting the three words written on Yahya's bowl, Luke's Recommendation Letter from Maltic, and now on the ashes of Sayleros's Brother.

"What does it mean?" Katherine says.

"I have a feeling that the sentence continues." Luke murmurs. I nod in agreement.

After leaving the crypt with the will and the ashes, we make way towards Nemract. There, we acquire rooms in an old inn and rest, for the sun was setting. We stayed in Nemract for two days and explored the town, but mainly waiting for Katherine to get better. She got better, all right; at the third day, she was brighter and smiled more. But there was now a permanent scar in her heart: sometimes her eyes will get dreamy and tears will roll down. One strand of her hair had become white, too.

We three are hanging around the Bank, when we hear commotion up at the East. We hurry out and look towards the direction of the noise. Citizens are gathering around a rider. He sits upon a great black horse, and behind him is a brown horse. The saddle of the horse, however, is empty.

As we draw nearer, we see that the horses are wounded, as well as the rider. The man probably is in his late forties or early fifties. He holds a damaged spear. He wears the mark of Nemract soldiers.

"My son!" The man wails as he jumps off his horse. "My son was taken by the undead!"

The citizens look at each other in horror. I ask to one of them, "Who is he?"

The human I talk to look at me. "He's the captain of Nemract soldiers, Mylo. I think he and his son, Laris, went to investigate why the undead was drawn to the tree in Ancient Nemract. I knew we should've sent Ragnar!"

We walk up to Mylo, who was now tending to his son's horse, muttering to himself.

"Captain Mylo?" Katherine asks to the man. He slowly looks back.

"I'm Katherine." The elf says. "This is Nicolas and Lucius, and we're Ragni soldiers. How was your son killed?"

Mylo looks at the direction of Ancient Nemract, his face sad. "Not killed, my child." He says, addressing Katherine. "He was carried away by the undead."

"When was that?" Luke asks.

"About ten minutes ago."

"Then we may still be able to save him!" I say. "What I don't understand is, why did the undead kidnap him? If they're monsters, why would they keep him alive?"

"I guess we have to find out." Katherine says.

Mylo brightens up, then his expression turns worried. "Are you sure? I would not send any more young soldiers to their deaths."

"We'll be fine, captain." Luke says. "Do you know where your son was taken to?"

Mylo nods. "They were headed for the Tower of Ancient Nemract. It stands out: it is very tall."

"Let's go, no time to waste then!" Katherine shouts, and bolts off towards the East. Me and Luke follow.

As angels, we run very fast. Luke lags behind, even though he catches up occasionally with teleportation. When we reach their, Luke complains while panting hard, "You two are way too fast."

"Get used to it." I say. "Let's go!"

Animated corpses of ancient citizens attack us from all around. We drive them back with spells, while making our way to the Tower. As we pass the lost city, I see a great, old tree growing in the middle of the city. Bones are littered around it, and zombies swarm around.

A trail of blood leads down towards the Tower. As we follow it, we come in front of the structure. Only its stone frame remains, and vines and plants hang down. What's under the tower though, is what caught my attention.

"A tunnel?" Katherine murmurs. She shivers. "I hate underground." I understood, from our experience with Sayleros's Brother.

"If you don't want to come," I say, "you don't have to. But we'll go after Mylo's son."

"What are you saying, Nico?" Katherine says, her voice a bit annoyed. "Of course I'm coming with you."

Luke lights up a light with his wand and leads the way. The tunnel looks like it has been dug until it reaches a small stone corridor.

"This reminds me heavily of the crypt under the cathedral." Luke mutters.

"It must be an underground grave." I say.

Katherine reaches down and touch the ground. She lifts her hand up, then show it to us. On her fingers are blood.

"It's fresh." She says. "Laris is near."

We follow the blood trail into a stone room. The room is more like a chamber, bigger than the crypt. A terrible stench fills the air. Corpses line up against the left wall. At the end of the room, the bodies are fleshless, and only skeletons remain. But as the corpses come closer, they seem to become newer, and the closest body looks only a few weeks old.

"Where is Laris?" I mutter.

A cracking sound comes behind us. We look back.

Now I take a clear look at the room. The walls and the ground is painted with symbols and pentagons for summoning. They're all red, drawn in what is most likely blood. In middle of the room is a lone figure, shrouded in darkness. He is a boy with pale skin and brown hair, like Mylo. He must be Laris.

"Something's wrong." Luke whispers.

Suddenly, Laris opens his mouth and looks up. From his mouth pour out pure shadow, which starts to engulf the boy. Laris looks back at us, and now, his eyes are pitch black, and black liquid roll down from his eyes.

Laris open his mouth again and screams. An unearthly sound fill the air.

I feel like a hard blow has hit on my stomach; I gasp and collapse onto the floor. Katherine and Luke seems to have been attacked the same way. Luke looks up to say something in the magic language, but with one look from Laris, he is knocked back onto the wall. Katherine screams and clutch at her head.

Luke seems to be affected the same way: he collapses onto the cold floor and curls into a bowl, clawing at his head. I look back at Laris, only to see figures stand in front of me. The roaring of shadow fades as the ghosts of the soldiers I have seen fall starts to walk towards me.

I close my eyes. They're only illusions. I tell myself. I open my eyes with determination and rise up. I raise my hand.

White light flash from my palm, turning the ghosts into grey powders. Laris appear before me again, shadow all around him. I point one finger at the possessed boy. A beam of light pierce Laris through his chest. His body freezes. Then the shadow flow out from the boy, escaping into the walls. Laris collapses onto the ground. Katherine and Luke gasp behind me, freed from the ghosts.

I look back at them. "Are you o-"

A huge explosion come from behind me, catching me off guard. Shadow fill the air once again, and I feel a presence, ancient and evil. The same one I felt at the crypt.

A dark, tall figure appear at where Laris stood. He rises up and stare at me with empty eyes.

"You have freed me at last." The figure says, then his body solidifies. The man wears a pitch-black hood and robes that cover his entire body, all the way down to his feet. His face resembles a skull, with glowing red eyes. On his chest is a black gemstone that hums with power. His entire body seems like it was weaved out of shadow.

The monster raise his hand. The room turns dark as a force so strong attack me, Luke and Katherine.

I raise my hand in defence. To my shock, a barrier appears between us and the monster's attack, preventing the shadow to reach us. Symbols appear on my barrier, but they are nothing I have seen before, not even in Luke's magic. The symbols flow around, changing constantly in a pattern. Colours flow through the magical shield that I somehow conjured.

The monster lower his arm, and the attack stops. I drop my arm to my side, thus dismissing the shield.

"I see." The monster says. "The Heir of Amageln."

The Heir of who? I think. "Who are you?" I shout.

The monster's skull face grins. "I am the Necromancer. Fear us."

Next Chapter: https://forums.wynncraft.com/threads/angels-and-demons-chapter-20.176184/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.