Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

What Is All This Hype For " Overwatch "???

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Zelefant, May 29, 2016.

?

Overwatch or Overratedwatch

1. Overwatch

32 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Overratedwatch

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zelefant

Zelefant wizard fortress will return one day HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    it looks like nintendo characters.

period.

Pwnguino likes this.
  2. Dawn UwU

Dawn UwU Midi Musician HERO

Minecraft:
    First of all I can respect your opinion but, overwatch is actually different then any other fps I have played it borrows many elements from tf2 yes, but it also has things like abilities giving it a moba feel like league or smite. The game has a very good sense of balance and a good loot system that gives you loot depending on hero playtime. Also lets keep in mind this is blizzards first fps and there fans got hyped because of that. Finally destiny is a good game but to be honest it kinda got old a while ago.

3. Mistrise Mystic

Mistrise Mystic Surfing winds and chasing windfalls HERO

Minecraft:
    So a robot ninja looks like mario? Huh. I don't get it.

Pwnguino and RaccoonRoss like this.
  4. Zelefant

Zelefant wizard fortress will return one day HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    zero suit samus + rob

5. Flubby

Flubby left and accidentally became leftist VIP+

Minecraft:
    So first off, you're saying Destiny is better than Overwatch. I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree.

I've played my fair share of both, and just even gameplay-wise, Destiny pales in comparison to the variety, depth, and pace of Overwatch. Now, you may be the kind of person who likes a slower paced, and more 'tactical' shooter, such as Destiny (just saying tactical to cater to the audience here, because of obvious reasons), and Overwatch's bright colors and fast gameplay may be a little different than what you like, but have you played it?

I am a person who almost exclusively plays 4x games like Civ V, HOI 4, and Stellaris, yet I love Overwatch. Destiny, when I played it, was just a rehashed Call Of Duty Ghosts campaign with a bit of poorly scripted dialogue mixed in there. Then, six months later, after getting an astonishingly small game- while being promised an immersive and expansive universe- I am asked to pay 30 dollars to get acces to raids. And then six months later, they do it again. That right there is the reason Destiny is dead. And no, it's not underrated. It's hype was bigger than Overwatch. Then, it was Console-Only, making people who prefer to use the PC sorely dissapointed.

I was dismayed to be given a horrendous payment model by Destiny (and Halo 5), and uninspiring gameplay. If you call shooting the Holy Roman Empire's Legionare's for two hours just to get a shitty rifle good, please, go camping for two weeks in the Himilayas and have some Nepali monks explain your mistakes to you.

Overwatch, yes, it has micro transactions, but they are optional, unlike Destiny. Overwatch combines many elements of games, to make a casual, fun, and easy-to-play experience. Destiny 'combines' two established genres and sets them on top of each other, and waves a wand hoping it'll work. Destiny was a risk, and it failed. Overwatch was a risk, and it is succeeding. People enjoy it. It has no established superior power creep like Destiny's PvP. It has no levels dictating your ability to ruin people. It has skill, and luck. Destiny has a lot of luck, and not too much skill. I like the former.

It's just point and case. Overwatch is a better made game than Destiny or Halo 5.

6. QuickDropping_

QuickDropping_ Newbie Adventurer

Thank god someone who understands me :D

7. redx475

redx475 SysAdmin HERO

Minecraft:
    Alright let's start here: TF2 is almost 10 years old. Content may still be coming out for it, but there hasn't been any major changes to it since the MvM update a few years back.

Next: Yeah, overwatch is easy to compare to TF2 but TF2 doesn't have a monopoly on class-based mechanics. Its hardly the first game to do it (even the original wasn't the first), and its also not the first one to do payload/capture points/etc.

Overwatch plays very differently from TF2. A much wider variety of characters allows for more interesting team compositions and the game as a whole is more likely to be different every time due to this wider variety. Each character also has a set of abilities that tends to be way more varied than a simple "alt-fire" like you'd find elsewhere. TF2 guns are pretty standard: shotguns, miniguns, flamethrowers, etc. Overwatch has all of those, plus abilities. What I find really neat about overwatch abilities is that I've had a moment with pretty much every single character that I've felt overpowered -- but that can't be true, because if everyone is overpowered then no one is! The way overwatch is balanced is that absolutely everything you do feels meaningful.

There's also team size to take into account. TF2 pubs are massive compared to the 6v6 games overwatch has. Overwatch maps tend to be a lot smaller as well, and matches take maybe 10 minutes at most meaning its a lot harder to be frustrated for a long period of time - you're just going to start a new match in a few minutes anyway.

Is the fact that something has been done before a reason to not try to do it again, aiming for something even better? Have you even played overwatch for a decent amount of time? It feels nothing like TF2. The only similarities are that they have the same style of objectives and they are both class based shooters. If the game isn't for you, fine, but that's not a justification for the game not to exist.

I also don't know how you came to think SSB has anything to do with overwatch -- one is a fighter and one is an FPS. Oh great, they both have multiple characters each with their own abilities, they're soooo similar! Sarcasm aside, having characters with abilities is hardly what defines either game as a whole.

EDIT:

As for the comments about Destiny... why compare? They are completely different games. Even if you just look at Destiny's PvP, they aren't even in the same sub-genre of FPS. One is a class-based shooter and the other uses a loadout system with very different mechanics both in guns and abilities.

8. Crue911

Crue911 where? VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    its a very unique game. idk how you would thinks its inspired by SSB its more like tf2 but a lot more unique, different, and polished. if you were to play it, then you would understand how unique it is. calling it a tf2 ripoff does not serve it the justice that it needs.

Mistrise Mystic and SpadenadeZ1 like this.
  9. Pwnguino

Pwnguino Neigborhood friendly social experimenter VIP

Minecraft:
    I do gotta say though Hanzo does feel like Huntsman sniper from tf2

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  10. coga

coga Noob CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    you didn't want a flame war, okay I'll start one

overwatch > wynncraft

Mistrise Mystic likes this.
  11. redx475

redx475 SysAdmin HERO

Minecraft:
    Here's the problem with that comparison, though: Yeah, hanzo's weapon might be basically a huntsman but he also has a bunch of other abilities (and don't forget his ridiculous ultimate). No character in overwatch plays like one in TF2. They have some similarities, but that's about out.

12. Dawn UwU

Dawn UwU Midi Musician HERO

Minecraft:
    You have no Idea what you have done WERE DOOOOMED!

13. Pwnguino

Minecraft:
    I never said he didn't have abilities :P

14. redx475

redx475 SysAdmin HERO

Minecraft:
    I know, I'm just mentioning why comparing characters in that way is pointless. That wasn't a jab at you, that was just me speaking in general terms. While weapons may be similar, the way they play feels pretty different.

XavierEXE and Pwnguino like this.
  15. XavierEXE

XavierEXE ♪ Wynncraft's Composer and Ability Tree Lead ♫ ♪ Music Item Team CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    There needs to be a third poll option
    "neverplayeditwatch"

BertTF2 and Arkade like this.
  16. Pwnguino

Minecraft:
    In fact I just got it today :D

17. modern

modern The irony is that I love the future

Guild:
    There are many reasons people want to play overwatch. You say that it is a clone of TF2 , but you have to remember TF2 has been out for 9 years now. WITH NO COMPITITION.
    The games industry runs of competition. The Hero based FPS has had little to no new entries for a looong time. Overwatch is the first to delve into it since TF2 (not including battleborn). Overwatch is not even a FPS. That term has been bastardized by COD and Battlefront to mean gritty multiplayer based shooters. Overwatch is a Team/Hero shooter. There are no upgrades. Your skill and strategy trump all.

The other thing to note is that Overwatch is going in the exact opposite direction most FPS's now days go. Instead of the hyper-realistic, it goes back to the slightly cartoony style we have not seen in quite some time. Overwatch is made by Blizzard, which is partially for the hype. Blizzard has not released a new IP for 14 YEARS. People are bound to be hyped about that. And while I am in no way a blizzard fanboy, everyone knows one or two. Word passes on.

SOURCES: myself, as a game developer, have taken extensive research into this.

Tl;dr Overwatch is filling a hole that has been neglected by game studios for years, monopolized by TF2. I personally like both games equally, although TF2 is getting a little behind the times.

XavierEXE likes this.
  18. Pwnguino

Minecraft:
    For one thing you gotta love the community just look at this

19. Defunct Fighter

Defunct Fighter Famous Adventurer

Minecraft:
    From what I've heard it's a "revolutionary FPS with a strategy for any play-style," but I call BS on the statement. It's just a crappy clone of one of the greatest games in recent history, Ogrewatch:
    [​IMG]

20. meesv123

meesv123 A Dank Meme from Idk

upload_2016-7-3_11-0-23.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.