Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Theory about corruption

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by culpitisn'taword, Jul 15, 2024.

Tags:
?

is theory good

1. yes

21 vote(s)
    84.0%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. culpitisn'taword

culpitisn'taword Skilled Adventurer

Still wondering if it's physically possible to have more Beasts out there. As far as I'm aware, the properties all Beasts have:
    • A gate to their Realm of some description. May be sealed or opened. They can actively affect the world when their gate is open.
    • An Influence which spreads similarly to Terraria's World Evils, affecting existing areas and warping them to a new vision of reality. If it is in an area long enough, the area will be shaped on a deeper level towards that vision, such that the area's baseline shifts from pure to influenced.
    • A fundamental force they represent, that isn't arbitrary.
    Life and Death seem iffy for proper Beasts, but I think Order and Chaos could work. Radiation would be weird, but can at least fit the criteria.

As far as I'm aware, Beasts don't necessarily need to have a counterpart. Do they? Orphion and the DB are implied by Ne du Valeos du Ellach to have been, at some point, either allies or the same entity. We don't see any other Beasts.

RoW is really weird. It has an influence and a realm gate, but no Beast is eminent, and its corruption doesn't seem to be a fundamental force. It also only exists because of Light and Dark conflicting in an area, apparently, but at the same time independently functions in Wynn, seemingly, since there's nothing that confirms that Light or Dark is actively trying to invade the province.

This lore is wack. We need more of it.

2. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    There's only 3 Realms of Influence, and thus there can only be, at most, 3 Realm Beasts
    Light and Dark are not evocative of literal light and literal darkness, they are merely called such by observers, due to Dark being visibly darker and Light being visibly brighter, and the fact they clash with one another. In reality they are not exact opposites, or meant to be literal light and darkness.

3. culpitisn'taword

I mean, there's not much indication that they aren't pure fantasy Light and Dark. They pretty much fit the bill on most counts.

That's just sort of a bit of a generalised instance of the portrayal. For instance, Light and Dark are meant to be a gray and gray, or perhaps blue and orange in moral terms, being above human morality and therefore unmappable to it. Except... that's not how they're done. The way the game currently portrays Light and Dark, they're obviously more or less good and evil from a human standpoint. The darkness has done 0 good things for literally any human, is the direct antagonist and aggressor in the War of the Realms (throwing the Parasite, hounding the Olm for no clear purpose, befriending the Corruption to clearly lopside the conflict, and being generally viscerally bad for humanity), and its opponent, the light, creates an incredible amount of beauty in Gavel, is generally more positive and healthy in Gavel, is much better for human life (creating the bright and healthy areas of Cinfras and the Light Forest, Sensei Miyagi's grove, and to a lesser extent all of Gavel that isn't the Dark Forest, as you've said), and doesn't really do anything bad in human eyes, other than being fully willing to make sacrifices for the greater good, which is only really a flaw superficially since on a higher level it makes sense, even if it goes against innate principles.

So, basically, can we please get a more nuanced portrayal of these two? As far as I can tell, the current state of the portrayal is that either humans and Gavellians are fundamentally more prone to the Light and thus it's generally better for them, or the Light is just fundamentally better. The Light is not really causing problems for anyone, and meanwhile, the Dark made the entire eldritch endgame area. It's literally tearing the world apart to get more power (with the Anomaly), and made a whole bunch of complete abominations as a side effect basically everywhere. The show does not map to the tell.

/rant

Gogeta, trex1611 and Elytry like this.
  4. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The more you get into the lore the more they stray from the fantasy ideas of Light and Dark.

You disregard the fact that you follow you the Light during one of the game's major quest lines. Most information you have about Light is from Orphion, presented as visions and information from him, whereas most of the information you have about Dark is from historical accounts.
    But yes, I do agree partially; the game would currently suggest that Light is objectively better than Darkness, and it doesn't do enough presently to show that neither are good nor evil, but are both Eldritch forces beyond anybody on the physical plane.

Elysium_ and BethJerry like this.
  5. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    • Guardian of the Forest: This is the Plane of Influence, comprised of many realms. There are three you must know- But only one you must pay attention to.
    The Realm of Light IV, Stage 15

SirBob27, Gogeta, trex1611 and 3 others like this.
  6. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Just worded in a way where it's easy to misinterpret as 'more than 3'

7. NecrowmancerLeam

NecrowmancerLeam Eye of Eternity CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Okay, wait, I know not since you said, but why is Annihilation's title "Hatred Incarnate" in its world discovery and Orphion's title in his boss intro is "Light Incarnate" (correct me if I'm wrong but), my understanding of a realm beast was the incarnate of a realm's influence, and it comes from the Realm of War, unless hatred is either seperate or a subset of Corruption? If that's even something you can answer right now, that is

Earthbrine and Elysium_ like this.
  8. Elysium_

Elysium_ Skilled Adventurer CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    honestly i feel like the corruption having a realm beast that's just a huge doofus would be pretty fitting. corruption turns people into mindless zombies and bakal was stated to have "retained his intelligence", implying that most corrupteds do not. so the realm of war beast being as intelligent as the dern beast or orphion wouldn't make much sense to me, but it being kinda stupid does lol. or at least not as intelligent

Gogeta, TrapinchO and BrokenRealities like this.
  9. Deusphage

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It's "Hatred Given Flesh".

NecrowmancerLeam likes this.
  10. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    I believe the wording is pretty clear.any realms but only three you need to care about.

Not saying it is correct, but that is what it says.

trex1611 and Gogeta like this.
  11. culpitisn'taword

It's really hard to interpret that wording as not implying there are more realms than the 3. Rewrite the line, then.

12. NecrowmancerLeam

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    OH my bad, ty

13. DrGREEN

DrGREEN wynncraft.wiki.gg is where its AT CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    upload_2024-7-22_17-21-33.png
    same difference

14. culpitisn'taword

Seems to be that if Annie isn't actually the Beast of War, it's still pretty close.

Maybe War's got some sort of multiple-soul arrangement going on, and Annie's one of them.

15. NecrowmancerLeam

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    perhaps, but the way the wording varies and in this context, thered 99% surely be a difference, esp. with deus's response, but ye thats prob how i got confused for sure