Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Guide Ability Tree Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by XavierEXE, Jan 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EpsilonDown

EpsilonDown Vibing to TNA theme HERO

Minecraft:
    Asking again because last got buried, how do traps exactly work? It's kinda hard to understand only looking at the description.
    Like how many times it damages per second, if the damage in the description is DPS, etc.

XavierEXE and starx280 like this.
  2. nomythrilskin?

nomythrilskin? jungle fetishes broke my kneecaps

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Traps, as in archer's Basaltic Trap?

XavierEXE likes this.
  3. MooseWhisker

MooseWhisker Recovering breathing addict VIP+

Minecraft:
    Is assassin’s ‘wall of bombs’ ability specifically made to be incompatible with echos to stop the player from throwing 21 black hole bombs and lagging out everyone nearby?

In other words, was that a conscious choice or a happy accident?

XavierEXE likes this.
  4. skyw25537

skyw25537 Crepuscular Ray = Pharah's ult change my mind VIP+

Minecraft:
    Is the Crepuscular Ray midair activation change also meant to discourage use of Grappling Hook, along with choosing when to use it? Or was it just unintentionally nerfing using the two together? My current build is kind of falling apart since I love using Grappling Hook, but without having a wall nearby I can't really activate Crepuscular Ray. (Ex: an open field with no trees, can't activate it)

As a small suggestion, maybe shift-casting Escape will do a regular Escape instead of a Grappling Hook?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    XavierEXE, EPIC67890 and luckeyLuuk like this.
  5. nomythrilskin?

nomythrilskin? jungle fetishes broke my kneecaps

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I think it's just a solution for people wanting to be able to use phantom ray with 5+ focus, since a good amount of people would rather preserve their focus and be able to cast phantom ray instead.

Part of the problem is just the fact that crepuscular ray really isn't that good

XavierEXE likes this.
  6. bonlol

bonlol Well-Known Adventurer

Just curious, what were the reasons behind making new base Uppercut a cone hitbox?
    IMO, it just seemed to open up to a lot of whiffing Uppercuts at close range. I do appreciate the changes to help alleviate the issue, though it staying as a cone of this size will continue to be a big flaw.

XavierEXE likes this.
  7. starx280

starx280 The boy who cried lunar VIP

Minecraft:
    Why does blood sorrow, an end-tree ability feel so underwhelming and hurts damage and survivability more than it helps (from my experience at least)

I have a suggestion if y’all wanna hear it too, mainly for theme fitting though

8. point_line

point_line Well-Known Adventurer

How do the various charge damage upgrades interact with each other? Do they all trigger if you hit an enemy?

XavierEXE likes this.
  9. Withering

Withering your mother\

why does mage suck?
    ik mage has like heal n stuff but like
    the damage is soo bad
    its litteraly unbelievable
    and archanist is just archer but like 0.1% of the damage

10. XavierEXE

XavierEXE ♪ Wynncraft's Composer and Ability Tree Lead ♫ ♪ Music Item Team CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I will reply to the thread I will answer the questions I will be motivated I will

Okay, so this was actually really enlightening to test! I didn't go through and test every ability but I tested 6 of them and got some fairly consistent results.

Abilities that activate upon taking any hit will be triggered when the damage is fully nullified.
    Mantle of the Bovemists and Mirror Image will still trigger when taking a zero damage hit, activating their usual effects.

Abilities that activate upon taking damage within a specific threshold will not be triggered when the damage is fully nullified.
    Manachism will not grant mana and Sandbagging will not reduce cooldowns when taking a zero damage hit.

Abilities that activate upon triggering Agility will be triggered when the damage is fully nullified.
    Counter and Parry will both activate when taking a zero damage hit, activating their usual effects.

I imagine the game acts as if you have taken a hit with a damage value of zero, meaning that on hit effects (Mantles, Clones) will activate, but effects that actually use the damage value to calculate if they will trigger on hit (Manachism, Sandbagging) will not activate. Agility effects (Counter, Parry) will trigger when the damage value is zero, because Agility itself can trigger when the damage value is zero. An interesting thing to note with this is that Counter triggering causes Mantle of the Bovemists to not trigger, effectively giving you more uptime on your mantles. Since Counter makes you dodge the hit entirely rather than making the hit do zero damage, it causes mantles to not activate even though a fully nullified hit will still activate them. Very cool!

If there are any more abilities like this you want me to test, please let me know c:

Loonitick, BadLife, Druser and 3 others like this.
  11. XavierEXE

XavierEXE ♪ Wynncraft's Composer and Ability Tree Lead ♫ ♪ Music Item Team CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Basically, Patient Hunter adds a multiplier to the damage a Trap's explosion does, and that multiplier increases the longer the trap has existed for without being triggered (which is indicated by the number above the Trap). If I place a Trap and it immediately detonates, it will do 250% total spell damage (190/30/30 Neutral/Earth/Fire split). If the Trap sits around for a while until Patient Hunter's damage is maxed out at +100%, a +100% multiplier is added at the very end of the damage calculation for the Trap, making it now do 500% total damage upon detonation (380/60/60 Neutral/Earth/Fire split). Stronger Patient Hunter increases both the multiplier's cap and the speed that the multiplier increases.

BadLife likes this.
  12. XavierEXE

Minecraft:
    hhggg I live

Hello again everyone! I promise I've been busy and not just lazy, I've been doing a fair amount irl and also working pretty hard on the upcoming ability tree changes! I plan on answering more questions here soon, but I'm currently visiting family so I'm just gonna share some cool stuff and then get back to this in a couple days c:

Here's a small new ability for warrior:
    cleansing_breeze-1.png
    (For anyone thinking they'll find anything hidden behind the text, this node is currently just floating on Page 1 rather than in it's final position for the update. This is what I do for all new abilities whike they are being worked on, and there are some other new nodes barely visible that are at various levels of completion. Balance numbers are not final.)
    Paladins are meant to empower allies and be a stable force in longer fights, so it never made sense to me that they would still be debilitated by slow and weakness. This ability isn't going to shift balance on its own but is some very nice QoL as well as being super fitting thematically for the archetype! (Don't worry, I've got more plans for Paladin than just this.)

There are some other new abilities I have planned, a few of which are definitely happening for the next patch. I've actually prioritized the chanages to make sure many of the most important are done first, and you all may find it interesting to know that Totemic Shatter was at the top of the list. What do you think it will do? :3

Besides new abilities, there are also changes to existing abilities! These two for mage I'm particularly excited for:
    sunshower_w_arcane_transfer-1.png
    burning_sigil_w_ophanim-1.png
    These two abilities have gained new interactions, enabling an entirely new hybrid to be possible on the mage tree! With Sunshower now making Arcane Transfer deal damage when enough mana is transfered, and Burning Sigil spawning under enemies damaged by Ophanim (plus a new connection between Arcane Restoration and Stronger Ophanim), Arcbender is now a reality. It has an extremely unique combat style and a lot of really neat options on the tree, so I'm excited to see what comes of this!

I hope you all find these changes as exciting as I do, and I can't wait to share more going forwards. Thanks for reading!

13. BlueTheSniper

BlueTheSniper Founder of Blue Builds CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Xavier, I'm closing in on your location to give you a kiss in person

14. ElectricCurrent

ElectricCurrent Using Hero incorrectly

-I want more summoner summons
    -I want Focus to stop being so petty about what counts as a missed shot. Really- half of the interesting archer nodes are effectively locked out because Focus can't handle seeing a random aftereffect fly off without bursting into tears.
    -Seriously! Why should Grape Bombs be so easy for Sharpshooter to access if it actively makes it worse (and no you can't go off about the one time so long ago that it was super busted. That doesn't count.)

Ingo likes this.
  15. nip nop

nip nop thinking hurts CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    but will we get any meaningful balance changes/archetype reworks

16. Iboju

Iboju absolute swag male CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    no there will be no fun allowed

yes of course lmfaoo 100% xaviers been hard at work on this for months

17. Selvut283

Selvut283 Circadian rhythm stuck on Tokyo time ♪ Music Item Team GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I mean, you read the post, right?

FelixTape likes this.
  18. NouoN

NouoN Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    Blood Sorrows ingame description is kind of confusing,
    it doesnt explain if the overhealth is 2% of your own health or the effected players health per hit (though i would assume its based on your own)
    and it doesnt explain the decay (just says "over" 10s and I personally dont know what that means)

starx280 likes this.
  19. punscake

punscake Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    I wanna know your general thoughts on the way focus is handled. Particularly: Twain's Arc having a focus requirement and the ways to build focus.

Since this thread is also for unintended interactions: pets seem to trigger Initiator (without giving you focus), essentially making you choose between having pets and having the node.

FelixTape likes this.
  20. point_line

point_line Well-Known Adventurer

I think what they meant was if there were going to be nerfs to the high dps archetypes like trickacro or sharp and buffing shaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.