Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Patch 2.0.2's Worst Feature

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by JaydonTheWarrior, Feb 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthbrine

Earthbrine The Dirt of the Realm CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    What are you talking about here?

2. AmbassadorDazz

AmbassadorDazz Discord Killjoy Staff Member Moderator HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    As someone who's been through the pre-Bonds era of Runescape, the "BUY GOLD" era was unspeakably bad (but at least it provided us means of getting some event exclusive cosmetics because IRL trading advertisement bots were being caught dime a dozen), which was the main justification why Bonds were added into the game - give the community a way to support Jagex by buying tradeable in-game "currency" that could be traded for a variety of things, including but not limited to:
    • Anywhere from 14 days to one year of Membership, with the 1 year option recently made permanent and a premier option called Premier Club, which has additional benefits tacked on (if playing on Wynncraft is Membership, think of Premier Club as Silverbull Subscription, with noticeably less P2W than Silverbull.)
    • 195 RuneCoins, for cosmetics and certain store items like Bank Storage (7 Bonds can be spent for even more storage)
    • 15 Treasure Hunter keys (we do not talk about Treasure Hunter given how much it hurt Runescape and its progression as a whole)
    • Various event items and currencies, including tier skips and premium version of its own flavor of battle passes
    • In-game GP - you can trade Bonds to other players by simply trading or via Grand Exchange
    Silverbull Shares in that regard is more or less analogous to what you'd get with Bonds, along with its ultimate goal - curbing 3rd party RWT, and giving users benefits that they can purchase by investing their time and currency (Emeralds, if they can't afford shares/Silverbull). Time will tell if it's any effective, though.

Opinions given in this reply are in no way made in any official capacity.

3. Lottery248

Lottery248 fml i ran out of games. VIP+

Minecraft:
    i am talking about mandatory subscription to use the service at all that begins to affect players' financial management. like, have you seen Nintendo's online subscription? i have saw some service supposedly free went to this way too. of course Wynn this time isn't mandatory, but not sure if it will still be.

4. AlanGreyson

AlanGreyson WynnArtist VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    as long as the game didn't becomes pay to win, we'll be fine.
    there's still room for improvement so we just need to continue support wynncraft till we reach the optimal solution

5. ron111701

ron111701 proffa CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    game has been p2w since champion :yawn:

JaydonTheWarrior likes this.
  6. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Wynncrafts black market is nowhere near as bad a Runescapes per-bonds era.
    Also did it actually decrease the Black Market trading or simply replace it with a more "excusable" offical system.

7. APersonWasHere

APersonWasHere But who? HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    In the end it doesn't really matter though, does it? Regardless how much people scream into the void about how bad this stuff could be for the longevity of the game people are still buying it. At this point either the game dies or it doesn't, I played WoW for long enough to realize P2W generally doesn't kill a game, just some peoples' interest and investment into it.

In all seriousness, the fact that the shares are tradeable is probably the most baffling decision I've seen in a game in a while. The Silverbull sub is honestly fine, getting basically cheaper cosmetics and some other simple perks isn't that bad but when I can spend a couple bucks on shares for a mythic on the trade market... That's textbook P2W. Doesn't matter that you could also spend hours lootrunning for a chance at getting a mythic yourself and then hoping to be able to sell it for a decent price when I could just open up my bank account and skip all that.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  8. Lottery248

Lottery248 fml i ran out of games. VIP+

Minecraft:
    i would think that free players should be possible to win if they are willing to play, while not for paid players if they aren't even putting any efforts, that ultimately balances the importance of free and paid players. there are some examples outside Minecraft, for example, Genshin Impact. it is still one of the top grossing gacha out there, but most likely you won't need to spend money if you put proper effort playing it. just don't be like Hypixel having boosters or paid mechanics that actually is PTW.

subscription services aren't inherently evil, but the problem is those those are taking the money for granted.

AlanGreyson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.