Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Patch 2.0.2's Worst Feature

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by JaydonTheWarrior, Feb 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I've been waiting to reply to this because I didn't want the majority of the first page to be random arguing.

Speaking of pointless drivel, your hypocrite is showing.

I spent the whole third section of this third explaining why the small pay-to-win features matter. Also do have source to cite for the number of people who trade off the market? Or is your hypocrite showing again?

In all seriousness, I know there are a decent number of people who do infact trade off the market in order to avoid the tax. The exact extent of that is unknown, but I'm willing to bet it isn't as significant as you want to make it out to be for the convenience of your argument.

You ignored the fact that Wynncraft maintained itself for years without pay-to-win features. The proof of the existence of these people is in the pudding so to speak, however I could do a formal study if that would make you feel better.

That was my point, yes.

This I will take.
    I do legitimately think that there is a significant number of people who play Wynn but avoid other MMOs for exactly this reason, however I have no formal reasoning for this beyond my personal experience and other community members I've talked to. Overall a somewhat decent point against the argument I'm least satisfied with, which as stated earlier I will be changing once I get home.

I appreciate you at least liking my last point, though something that bothers me about all of this; you seem pointlessly angry for talking about a topic you have no horse in. The most poignant thing about your whole reply is how angry you seem, your actual arguments have very little weight beyond that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Mac N Cheese Man and trex1611 like this.
  2. Deusphage

Deusphage gruesome grue Modeler CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
  3. JaydonTheWarrior

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Thank you.

4. P0ke

P0ke Wynntils Dev CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    it's pretty readily apparent that it's a common occurrence if you spend any time in wynncraft market spaces

that said, you raise a fair point - there's still a significant number of high-value trades happening despite the tax; to that i'd argue that the tax reduction is still not a significant enough advantage to warrant the emphasis you placed on it here, especially when we don't even know the specifics of how it works yet
    the fact that wynncraft has existed until now with a certain set of monetization methods does not mean it can continue to exist indefinitely without changing them. if you want to draw conclusions about the state of wynncraft's finances from its actions, would it be valid to say that the introduction of silverbull is proof that wynncraft can't sustain itself without a subscription rank? or are you only interested in following this logic to conclusions you agree with?
    i thought your thread was pretty funny, actually! my reply focused exclusively on the soundness and relevance of your arguments as i perceived them, and nothing more

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  5. JaydonTheWarrior

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I appreciate the more calm tone this time.
    My state of aggression in the reply was to meet yours so to speak, it's not exactly how I like to conduct arguments.

I have dyslexia, you're vs your specifically being something I do very often.
    I had the main thread was read over by an English major, although I can't do that for every comment I make, so corrections are appreciated.
    Oh, also I meant convenience, my head mixed the two when I typed it.

Actually, I agree. By no means was I attempting to state anywhere in this thread that Wynncraft shouldn't continue to monetize itself and it's clear that the server seemingly needs more money now than it ever has in the past. That being said, Wynncraft has a lot it can do before being forced to add pay-to-win features into it the game, festivals for example I really like, and a subscription rank within itself isn't a bad idea, I'm not against them, I just don't like the random pay-to-win features they threw in both times.

I still don't like it in any regard.
    To be clear, I don't think it's anywhere near as big of a deal as the Silverbull Share, that being said, I'm also of the opinion that if the community starts to ignore small pay-to-win features because they are small, they will eventually add up into something that is greater then it's parts.

It's worth noting that the arguments are actually counterarguments to the comments I've seen in favor of it, which are very often:
    "Salted said they were doing this to help the community in x, y, or z way, just believe them"
    These aren't meant to be arguments as to why pay-to-win features are bad exactly, I feel like that is fairly self-explanatory.
    Perhaps there was some disconnect there in that regard.

6. P0ke

P0ke Wynntils Dev CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    i am well aware of the capitalization rules of the english language, thank you; my choice to ignore them is stylistic and intentional - unless this is your first day on the internet, this is something you certainly are aware of and are intentionally ignoring just to be a pest. either way, i think you would be hard pressed to argue that forgoing capital letters is fundamentally comparable to being unaware of the difference between "your" and "you're"

while your use of an em dash at the end of the last sentence isn't technically incorrect, it works a lot worse than a basic paranthetical expression - there's little reason to use such an intrusive form of punctuation for a one-word aside - to the point that i wonder whether you only included it to showcase that you know what an em dash is

7. Magicmakerman

Magicmakerman Moderator Staff Member Moderator CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    How did this turn into an argument of people correcting each other's grammar

8. JaydonTheWarrior

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Who knows man

9. Endistic

Endistic Acolyte Enjoyer HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Who knows man.*

This also has "man" being used as slang, which is not the norm in standard English grammar.

luckeyLuuk likes this.
  10. JaydonTheWarrior

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    To be clear, I also think it's to, let's say, belittle my arguments.
    I just responded with a thank you to sort of shut them up if they at all thought it mattered to me.

Partyu, luckeyLuuk and tig like this.
  11. AlanGreyson

AlanGreyson WynnArtist VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    That's how online debate works.

Ariconnie48 likes this.
  12. tig

tig "Because EO parkour killed my grandma, OK???"

Minecraft:
    Thanks for the English lessons guys!

Anyway, when I saw that Silverbull (or whatever it's called, too lazy to scroll) allowed players a reduced market tax my eyes rolled back so far they did a full 360 back into normal position. Wynncraft has some questionable benifits in terms of P2W - dloot and totems - but at least those benefit everyone on the server and for this reason aren't particularly oscene (unless it's stupid Mythic grinding). But with this it's just... ugh. Giving individual players the ability to save up to stacks of LE because of a paid benefit is so stupid; fuck, just let us buy LE at this point.

And for anyone saying that in order for the beneifit to be meaningful items would have to be uber expensive and thus result in the buying player just being rich af anyway, no. It is still not ok. If I got a tax discount on every Mythic (or item in general) I've ever purchased on TM I could quite assuredly afford a good handful more! It also greatly affects less wealthy players that may want a particular item or want to buy their first Mythic, but don't have access to the tax discount that could be major for them.

What's that saying again? Rich get richer?

That_Chudley and luckeyLuuk like this.
  13. MlecznyHuxel99

MlecznyHuxel99 Fruman walls guy VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Back when champion came out I defended it but this is just like skyblock gems, all it makes me want to do is to not buy anything from the store
    Shame that Wynn is going that route

JaydonTheWarrior likes this.
  14. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Totems in practice only benefit the individual unless one or two players coincidentally happen to be nearby you and they want to grind too. They’re not server wide like bombs are. And even then bombs are pretty sketch because servers can easily fill up and they provide the strongest benefits. That was in part why I hated profs bc speed bombs and crafting bombs are practically required for them for most people. And this isn’t even mentioning the bomb bell…

For something to be pay-to-win, it needs to allow you to win the game much more easily through paid features. A reduced market tax isn’t going to give you more xp, status buffs, or beat a challenge easier, etc. Most players barely interact WITH the trade market throughout their whole playthrough and you don’t need to if you want to beat the game. The amount of emeralds you would need to buy and sell with in order to save stacks of them is way more than most casuals ever do. This isn’t going to be so lucrative as to replace other money making methods like lootrunning. If you really want to avoid the tax, you can always just use Discord to shop like how it was before the trade market existed.

TL;DR The market tax isn’t pay-to-win, especially compared to totems and bombs. At best, it will allow a couple of active high-volume traders to be able to obtain an extra mythic over the long-term. When they already could afford a mythic to begin with.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    Druser, uzbuz, Sprite and 1 other person like this.
  15. Magicmakerman

Magicmakerman Moderator Staff Member Moderator CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Not really

Uniimog, Dr Zed and uzbuz like this.
  16. ActualAnthonino

ActualAnthonino SkyBlock Prisoner

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Still better than Skyblock's monetization. That we can all agree on, right?

shacers likes this.
  17. TheAckening

TheAckening Local YIMBY

The bar is underground with that one

xct, NubPotato, Etherweaver and 5 others like this.
  18. ThedumbOX

ThedumbOX I swear I’m straight HERO

Minecraft:
    I would be surprised if we somehow got below sky block monetisation

19. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    (the definition is "it gives the player an advantage over non-payers", not "makes it significantly easier to win")

I mean, isn't the market (and economy in general) one really big competition? Although there are no leaderboards, do not people compete over having the best offers? The tax reduction does give them an advantage, although small.

20. nkklk

nkklk Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    The Silverbull Shares aren't really that big of a deal...like, unsubscribed players can still get its benefits by buying it from subscribed players. As for the market tax, unsubscribed players can also enjoy that benefit by direct trading. Sure, it's more clunky, but the same benefit is obtainable without paying RL currency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.