Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Got confused about damage calculation

Discussion in 'Questions' started by Bottled_Phantom, Oct 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bottled_Phantom

Bottled_Phantom Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    1. Attack abilities say their damage is "[Number]% of DPS".
    But spell damage don't have a "DPS", so what it mean?
    The average of main attack DPS? Then what's the use of spell damage ID?

2. The "soft cap" of Rage (Earth powder special) is +300% Earth damage.
    My damage is almost all earth damage and all my armors have Rage V, so I think when I'm at very low health it should increase my DPS about 3 times of that when 100%HP. But it didn't, and the DPS data from WynnBuilder (Rage set to 300%) only increased 0.4 times (also the case in game). Why?

Thanks a lot!!! I'm still learning about the combat system :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  2. Earthbrine

Earthbrine The Dirt of the Realm CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I don't know about #2, but for #1, spell damage calculations use main attack dps(along with other things like raw spell damage, % spell damage, and % elemental damage)

Bottled_Phantom likes this.
  3. Bottled_Phantom

Minecraft:
    Thanks! That does solve my first question

4. MrX2007

MrX2007 Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    I think the earth dmg bonus of rage gets added to your normal earth damage which means it increases the damage less (percentage wise) if you already have high earth damage identifications on your items but it still adds 300% earth damage to your stats

5. Bottled_Phantom

Minecraft:
    Oh sorry but I found I'm still confused
    For example, Uppercut says its total damage is 280% of my DPS (200% neutral, 40% earth, 40% thunder)
    I have about 15k DPS (almost all earth; no thunder at all), and Wynnbuilder says (also the case in game) my Uppercut deals 7.6k average total damage, in which earth is about 5/6 and thunder 1/6 (neutral damage can be ignored).
    But 15k * 280% = 42k, much higher than 7.6k. Also, I totally fail in figuring out how do these element conversion happen.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  6. Bottled_Phantom

Minecraft:
    I really found it and looked carefully
    Now I'm thinking about turning to TierStack if I didn't misunderstand

7. MrX2007

MrX2007 Well-Known Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    To calculate the dps you need to look at the attack damage of your weapon (for each hit it selects a random number out of your weapons damage range) and multiply it with the amount of times the weapon can hit per second without attack speed modifiers. The exact amount of hits per second for each attack speed can be found in the weapon article on the wiki. The game then takes the Dps of the weapon and multiplies it with your other modifiers like spell damage%.

elemental conversions just take that percentage of your weapons dps and adds it as damage of that element to the damage of the spell before the multipliers are applied. For example if you have a weapon with a damage range of 10-10 earth damage (to make it easier to understand) and super fast attack speed the game calculates 10*4.3=43. so if your spell deals 200% neutral and 100% fire damage it takes 43*200%=86 earth and 43*100%=43 fire damage and then applies your other damage multipliers.

8. FrozenEarth

FrozenEarth Community Helper + Wiki Manager Discord Moderator HERO

Minecraft:
    1. When abilities say "Damage: 200% (of your DPS)", it means the "Average DPS" value that is written on your weapon. This is calculated using the damage per hit and base attack speed of the weapon, but the value written on the weapon is all that matters.

2.The bonus elemental damage from powder specials is not multiplicative, it just adds to your existing stats. Imagine that your gear had a +100% Earth Damage ID on it, essentially. So, when taking all of your buffs into account it might not actually increase your damage by a full +300% at the end.

9. Bottled_Phantom

Minecraft:
    OK now I finally understand how to calculate them!!!
    Thanks for you all :DDD

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.