Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Post 1.20.4 thoughts on Wynncraft

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by TravusThaSlime, Sep 27, 2021.

Tags:
?

Do you agree with this?

1. Nearly every single one, yes.

44.2%
  2. Some of it.

47.5%
  3. No, you are wrong mostly.

8.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaCorruption

DaCorruption Serves Dern.

Minecraft:
    minecraft limitations moment

that would look unbelievably cursed
    also is it even possible?

elaborate

limitations again, while I agree with the sentiment, i doubt they can even do anything about it, similarly to other multiplayer games
    its not like they can just make the entire decay vanish after you beat ONOL even though it'd make sense lore wise

TrapinchO and Dr Zed like this.
  2. Dr Zed

Dr Zed Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    It is possible but also unbelievably cursed. Some mods like the Epic Fight Mod have great animations, but that’s bc those are for combat and vanilla has almost no combat animations to begin with. Even if you had Tell Tale level of animation, the blocky character design and low resolution makes it extremely difficult to look good and expressive.
    It ties back to other issues such as lack of core characters and the stagnant status quo. Because most of your actions don’t seem to change much and the world as a whole doesn’t develop, it gives the impression that your actions don’t matter and thus it’s harder to stay invested with the story. Especially when the story constantly changes to completely different ones due to the episodic nature. Plus given how generic and silly most villains and the premise are, it’s just hard to take anything seriously if that makes sense.

3. MineMasterRC

MineMasterRC Skilled Adventurer VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    ITS A MMORPG SERVER
    ON A GAME
    THAT IS MADE FOR KIDS
    THAT IS ALL BLOCKS

HOW CAN ANYONE TAKE THAT SERIOUSLY

wejqitj4

Dr Zed likes this.
  4. DaCorruption

Minecraft:
    ما اللعينة التي قلتها عني ، أيتها العاهرة الصغيرة؟ سأجعلك تعلم أنني تخرجت على رأس صفي في القوات البحرية ، وشاركت في العديد من الغارات السرية على القاعدة ، ولدي أكثر من 300 حالة قتل مؤكدة. لقد تدربت على حرب الغوريلا وأنا أفضل قناص في جميع القوات المسلحة الأمريكية. أنت لا شيء بالنسبة لي ولكن مجرد هدف آخر. سوف أقوم بمسحك بدقة لم يسبق له مثيل من قبل على هذه الأرض ، ضع علامة على كلماتي اللعينة. هل تعتقد أنه يمكنك الابتعاد عن قول هذا الهراء لي عبر الإنترنت؟ فكر مرة أخرى ، مقيت. بينما نتحدث ، أقوم بالاتصال بشبكتي السرية من الجواسيس في جميع أنحاء الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية ويتم تتبع عنوان IP الخاص بك في الوقت الحالي حتى تستعد بشكل أفضل للعاصفة ، يرقات. العاصفة التي تمحو الشيء الصغير المثير للشفقة الذي تسميه حياتك. أنت ميت يا فتى. يمكنني أن أكون في أي مكان وفي أي وقت ، ويمكنني قتلك بأكثر من سبعمائة طريقة ، وذلك بيدي فقط. أنا لست فقط تدربت بشكل مكثف على القتال غير المسلح ، ولكن لدي إمكانية الوصول إلى كامل ترسانة مشاة البحرية الأمريكية وسأستخدمها إلى أقصى حد للقضاء على مؤخرتك البائسة من على وجه القارة ، أيها القذر الصغير. لو كنت تستطيع فقط أن تعرف ما هو الانتقام غير المقدس الذي كان تعليقك الصغير "الذكي" على وشك إسقاطه عليك ، فربما تكون قد أمسكت بلسانك اللعين. لكنك لا تستطيع ، لم تفعل ، والآن أنت تدفع الثمن ، أيها الأحمق اللعين. سوف أغضب في كل مكان وسوف تغرق فيه. أنت ميت يا كيدو.

5. Sg_Voltage

Sg_Voltage 1.18 was the best update, don't @me CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Why thank you :)
    The trick to that in most RPG's is to not focus on the protag putting all the focus on the things happening to others which is what Wynn does but there aren't really a lot of likeable characters since they're all kind of assholes or are just straight up evil so it's tough. Most characters also don't do any memorable stuff so it's hard to distinguish between two characters.

Tasimn and Alder or whatever their names should also show up a lot more in quests earlier on and throughout the level range.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  6. blegar1

blegar1 Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Wait people think this is a limitation of minecraft? It's doable to have multiple different dialogue choices. (Idk about mc server wise though)
    Played a few minecraft maps where dialogue options exist (exodus is the 1 I think of most since your choices actually meant something)

Ninja_VK likes this.
  7. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    What do you mean by this exactly?

Sg_Voltage likes this.
  8. DaCorruption

Minecraft:
    yea idk about server side, it'd take a huge amount of work to implement them though especially if you want them to actually matter cuz then you'd have alternate quest stages etc etc

9. Sg_Voltage

Minecraft:
    I guess the best way to think about it is to compare it to something like Final Fantasy or a Tales game where the main character plays an active role in the events of the story, they're really proactive and they get character development because they're not really a self insert, they're their own character with wants and needs and they act to meet those wants and needs.

The Wynn protag is far more of a self insert, we're not given any wants or needs, no goals and no real characterization which is fine, but it also means that we're not really a character. Because of that, I think the way stories need to be told is by using the player as more of an observer, in ROL for example Lari is really the main character and in AJF Alder is the main character, you're just watching their journey and helping them rather then having your own motivation for doing so.

The issue with doing that is that the other characters need to be really, really well done because in other games you can always fall back on the protag or their party members to tell a story but because none of that exists in Wynn the only source for stories are the people who are involved in the story you're currently actively involved in. That's why I want to see more characters who show up frequently, because it allows stories to be told without needing to constantly establish their character from the ground up.

I hope all that made sense.

TLDR; Wynn needs more reoccurring characters to tell good stories because the main character isn't really a character at all.

10. blegar1

blegar1 Well-Known Adventurer CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Honestly I'd say 1 quest using them as a joke or just as a why not would be fine. But otherwise its not worth it

11. fishcute

fishcute fish CHAMPION Builder

Creator Karma:
    Minecraft:
    It's not possible at all for wynncraft, since the client is unmodded aside from a resource pack. Entity models are hard coded in .java models.

However, in common (both sided) modded, with the power of mixins, geckolib, or simply ignoring the stupid way that mojang does entity animations (and entity models in general), you actually can do some pretty cool things.

Funnily enough, because I mentioned geckolib, this means that wynncraft could greatly improve the quality of their animations if they switched to bedrock edition, since geckolib loads bedrock edition models and animations.

12. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    I was referring to Minecraft in-game animation in general; I agree there is no way for Wynncraft since in Java animations and models are hard coded. There’s also no way Wynncraft will ever be modded on the server side or switch to Bedrock since most players wouldn’t carry over.

fishcute and TrapinchO like this.
  13. Druser

Druser ele defs don't matter HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Wynncraft already is modded on the serverside...

Sg_Voltage likes this.
  14. Sg_Voltage

Minecraft:
    The fact that it's only modded and not running on a completely custom server like Minestom is probably where a lot of their issues come from since the regular Minecraft server code isn't exactly optimal for this sort of thing.

15. Dr Zed

Minecraft:
    Wdym? It doesn’t require mods to play. I thought any server side mods require players to also have the mod?

16. ThedumbOX

ThedumbOX I swear I’m straight HERO

Minecraft:
    Skill issue + counter ratio

MineMasterRC and MlecznyHuxel99 like this.
  17. YoshisWorld

YoshisWorld Famous Adventurer Media CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    100% mod free

TravusThaSlime likes this.
  18. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You guys may be surprised to hear this, but this is actually possible.
    Wynncraft already does this once using a check box system to give you two different dialog options in Lazarus Pit.
    Wynncraft could easily take that further with the command link system, which is the thing that allows you to click on "Join party" to join a party in chat for example.
    From that, you could pretty easily make it so that links come up in chat whenever you have dialog options to pick from.
    I know that's possible, I have no idea how much space it takes, though if it takes too much you could easily just use the check box thing Lazarus Pit did.

starx280 and Sg_Voltage like this.
  19. Sg_Voltage

Minecraft:
    Plugins are considered by Mojang to be mods in their EULA so I don't think it's really accurate to say that the server is 100% mod free. I haven't checked in on how things work recently but I know Salted said a while ago in an AMA that Wynn used one big plugin with a few other addons and if that's still the case then the server is modded.

There are also mode which are serverside only and are actually mods, stuff like Worldedit need carpet or forge but don't need client mods for example. It's the same idea as how there are some client only mods like optifine which heavily mod your games rendering engine but don't disallow you from joining servers.

I've actually seen other servers do this, there's this one server called SwordCraftOnline (lol) which does something like you described, I think another server called Karma.io also has that too but it works slightly differently. I only played on each for a few minutes each to do some personal research and I don't really know exactly how they worked but it's definitely possible, it just makes dialogue much more complex which might not be worth the tradeoff if you ask me.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    JaydonTheWarrior likes this.
  20. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    SwordCraftOnline requires mods I think? Just looked it up, not sure if it's the right one.
    Couldn't find the other one.

Sg_Voltage likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.