Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Wynncraft shouldn't always give permanent bans

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by Datablock_, Aug 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sploofie

Sploofie professional idiot VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I agree that small offenses should be a temporary ban, while those idiots abused dupe glitches should be perma-banned.

But the thing is, mods literally have a [MOD] tag and Champion wasn't even added until a few months ago soooo your point is kinda invalid

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Kahsol likes this.
  2. Stratiformis

Stratiformis Banned 5 years ago. Hoping to come back...

Minecraft:
    Dude, they won't change. Everything is fucked up big time. I did nothing harmful (exploring the outmap area) and they didn't even give me a second chance

3. Androphonia

Androphonia SON ARE YOU THROWING THE RAID AGAIN VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    "nothing harmful"
    I mean
    yeah I do agree but its stated pretty clearly in rules that you *aren't* supposed to explore off map areas. Even if its not harmful in any way I guess it could spoil unreleased content and that would be harmful? honestly I don't know but hopefully a mod comes and gives you an answer

4. Stratiformis

Minecraft:
    You know the funny thing? The only reasons they are keeping me banned is "insulting", I said only "stupid" which is hardly an insult and my persistence, like I asked multiple times to unban me but for some reason I had to wait until Silent Expanse drops which makes no sense cuz I have already visited it and I could tell its secrets to anyone, but I didn't do it. Ah yea, I forgot the thing that I canceled my appeal for I thought they won't unban me and in the end of the day I was right because usually unban procedure takes 1-2 days, in my case it was already 3 months so I gave up. But year later I wanted to recreate my appeal and I couldn't for some reason (btw I don't think there is a point in the rules regarding canceling the appeal) it just doesn't make any sense, if I canceled an appeal myself it shouldn't be considered as using a second chance AND EVEN IF SO, I heard that there are a people like Adomorn that are actually unbanned for a second time which means a third chance so I don't even know what to say at this point.

Ninja_VK likes this.
  5. Stratiformis

Minecraft:
    I think I should bump this thread, it opens a serious topic..

6. Androphonia

Androphonia SON ARE YOU THROWING THE RAID AGAIN VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    half a rant but if you've really tried everything, well...
    shit you can do about it I guess

this probably was the complete opposite of helpful but I don't know what to say anymore

7. Ichikaaa

Ichikaaa woop woop CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I would like to clear up a pretty common misconception I'm seeing throughout this discussion. When we refer to "Permanent Bans," while dependent on the case, they're almost always more of a "Ban Until Appeal" situation. Second chances are given when applicable, which is the majority of the time.
    Like Ethereal said earlier on, the main reason for this is so that we can communicate with the player to figure out if anything needs to be fixed.

Being a mod on more "normal" minecraft servers in the past, it's pretty easy to just give out a temporary ban if someone is x-raying, etc. because there's nothing really to discuss, just remove the client and come back later. I do like that we don't temp ban hackers here, however, because the appeal process filters out anyone who doesn't show remorse or just doesn't care enough to appeal at all.
    Wynncraft is a game coded within another game. There are lots of very unique scenarios and situations that need to be checked to make sure no larger problem comes as a result of these smaller issues. This is why player to staff communication is extremely important.

The issue with this here is like mentioned, both the player and mod have to be on at the same time which just is impractical in a lot of situations. Everyone has their own life schedules outside of Wynncraft, some busier than others. The appeal section on the forums is direct communication. It also allows other staff members to easily look at the situation and have the situation handed to them entirely, if needed.

In regards to bans in general, no matter how large or small the offense, you as the player have a responsibility to be familiar with the current game rules. If you decide to explore an area outside of the map, fully knowing that it is not allowed, that is completely on you. You are the one taking the risk. Ending up outside of the map, or in other situations regarding bugs, may not always be your fault, that's true. If you end up outside of the map unintentionally and go right back inside (and or let a staff member know what's up) it's infinitely better than taking some time to roam around and explore, as tempting as it may be. Trust me, as someone who always loves exploring new places, it's tempting. You just have to weigh the risk versus the reward for yourself, and 99.9% of the time, it is not worth the risk. By breaking the rules, you are accepting any and all punishments that may possibly come as a result of your actions.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  8. BenceX100

BenceX100 Skilled Adventurer

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I definitely think the mod rank should have a different color in pm and party chat

9. BisexualDog

BisexualDog Boogie Boy CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Inb4 someone comments "Don't get caught then" and mods look into their backhistory and finds proof of something illegal they did and they get banned.

10. Qzphs

Qzphs Unskilled Adventurer VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i'm now curious what this was. there are many well-known unintentional bugs out there that are either easily reproducible, unpatched for more than a year, or difficult to avoid exploiting. in many cases, a large proportion of the playerbase has just accepted them as any other intentional feature, to the point where they expect others to exploit them. what is the stance of the moderation team on this?

hppeng, Ninja_VK and MlecznyHuxel99 like this.
  11. ItzTigerTime

ItzTigerTime Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Maybe don’t call them permanent bans then. It could help avoid a lot of this trouble if you called bans that you intended to be appealed by a different name so people aren’t scared off by the permanent ban thing.
    A “ban until appealed” sounds a lot more fair then “permanent ban” even if they are the same thing.
    Just a thought.

12. Druser

Druser ele defs don't matter HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I doubt there's a single person with multiple level 100 classes who has never used that particular "glitch" (which I will not describe, of course, since the mods decided they don't want to "spread" it). I certainly assumed it was an intentional feature.

btdmaster, Tekenen and hppeng like this.
  13. Tekenen

Tekenen Professional Loser VIP+

Minecraft:
    Have multiple 100 classes, no idea which bug yall talking about lmao

That_Chudley and Frontlinecrazy like this.
  14. TrapinchO

TrapinchO retired observer of the wiki VIP+ Featured Wynncraftian

Minecraft:
    Maybe because you never knew it was a bug.

I think they might be talking about a certain dungeon-related one

15. aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    Your not thinking about the same one we are. There’s no way on earth anyone could think this was intentional.
    It is easy to find though and removing parts of posts which mention said bug seems quite fruitless.

16. Druser

Druser ele defs don't matter HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I know what was mentioned. While it may be unintentional, I certainly would not blame anyone for thinking it was intentionally added.
    I didn't say that you'd necessarily know what it is from my non-description, but I would bet that you have used it.

hppeng likes this.
  17. OriTheSpirit

OriTheSpirit Feesh Time 24/7 CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Basically you broke the rule and thought it's not so severe and it's safe to use etc
    Standing on top barrier is exploiting and you can get to anywhere you want

18. TheZeldaBoi

TheZeldaBoi ano on top CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yea, they should probably add [MOD] and [ADMIN] to DMs

Ninja_VK likes this.
  19. Pretzule

Pretzule eats pretzels HERO

Minecraft:
    In the past for something like your case we would let them know what they're doing is against the rules and either TP them out, or tell them to /kill. For unintentional or less harmful glitches warnings were usually the case not to do it again.

Actually even for some of the larger bugs that might have not seemed like bugs warnings were somewhat common.
    A full ban does seem a bit overboard for something like this, in my personal opinion, but there may be a reason for it.

The only times I really remember full on bans is for serious cases where it would break the game, or really cause some problems. Or even for widely abused bugs where it was common knowledge that it was against the rules but still done anyway.

It is nice that you wanted there to be a conversation about this topic, stuff like this is important to talk about and discuss to gain a better perspective.

Good luck in your ban appeal!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    TS_potato likes this.
  20. Moe_Ronickah

Moe_Ronickah Traveling through hyperspace . . .. CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If you all would tell us about them, with some detail, in Bug Reports, that would be a good place to start. Even if it's something that seems a little "off" for how Wynn normally works, let us know, and we'll look into it.

I'm going to try to parse the rule about bugs, glitches, and exploits, a bit, and hopefully help out with this.

"3. Do not abuse bugs, glitches or exploits."
    -That's simple enough, except when it needs some clearing up as to what is or isn't in those categories.

"Any behavior of the game which is unintended by the developers and gives the player an advantage or can otherwise be exploited is a glitch. "
    -The really important part of this is whether or not it gives a player an unfair advantage over other players in the game. And I'm emphasizing unfair because advantages of classes and properly working spells, weapons, armor, and accessories aren't unfair. If there is a dungeon, and players are held up by a door, players are meant to be held up by that door, unless there is another path in the build. A path! Something that is clearly defined, and made by the builders. Going around the door, by some broken mechanic, is exploiting a glitch. If there is a problem with the TM, and it's suddenly dropping "free" LE, that's a glitch. Game currency is meant to be worked for - giving it away, by the game, breaks the economy. We aren't going to do that. If there is a height limit in any map, in any game, and there's a mechanic that let's someone bypass that limit, that's a glitch. Duping - it doesn't matter what it is - that's a glitch. There is no such thing as a free lunch, it messes with the game economy. I'm limiting this to what's in the rules, because . . . . I'm not going to share anything that I may, or may not, know about. (I can hear you asking yourselves, "How can he share something that he doesn't know about?" It's legalese.)

Showing or sharing any information about a glitch or an exploit with another person (other than moderators or QAs) is not allowed and will be punished for if done by any player (Leaving the map, duping, possession and distributing illegally obtained items, bypassing restricted areas, bypassing territory cool-down, and using colored text in chat are some examples.)
    -The first part here, needs to be addressed. That part warns everyone, in effect, that spreading any information about any glitch or exploit, with anyone other than a moderator or a QA, will get you banned. We don't want bugs - issues - in the game. CT and QA work hard to prevent those from happening. STOP blaming mods; they don't make the game and they aren't responsible for testing it, either. And, because we want the game to work the way that we meant for it to work, if something breaks, we certainly don't want whatever was broken to not get fixed, and we don't want it exploited, by anyone, by several people, or by entire groups of people, because that ruins the game for everyone else!

Not knowing that something is a glitch is not an excuse and can be punished. If you are unsure if something is intended you can send a private message to one of our moderators. If you find a glitch and report it to us you will never be punished provided you don’t use it afterwards.
    -We expect for our community, someone, anyone in it, to tell us if something seems like it's messed up. If it seems as if something isn't working the way that everything else works, if something seems to be wrong, if it doesn't follow the pattern and feel of the rest of the game, let us know about it. If it gives you, your friends, your guild, whoever, an unfair advantage over everyone else, then accept the fact that it's broken, and report it. We aren't going to list out every one of the past bugs that have been fixed, and every one of the bugs that we are fixing, and every bug that we know of. No game is going to do that. Why? Well, no one has a perfect master list (even AAA game devs don't record every bug that they find while coding their games), and even if we did, the ones that we know about, that are difficult to fix, we don't want anyone to exploit. So, we trust our community to be honest with us, and tell us when you find something that doesn't feel right.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.