Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

The Lack Of Communication Is Beyond A Joke Now

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by That_Chudley, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Chudley

That_Chudley Wynncraft Addict HERO

Minecraft:
    So it's common knowledge that the CT aren't allowed to give away any spoilers of upcoming updates. This leads to updates getting very little publicity in the upcoming months before they're released; however, there are often teasers and sneak peeks at some features that will be in the new updates. Even when we don't get many teasers, we sometimes get news on how the update is going and perhaps a super-vague timeframe (e.g. Soon, or just around the corner, or a few weeks away still etc.). 1.18 was disasterous at communicating anything about it considering that it took so long to release, but it still had cryptic teasers and screenshots shown in advance.

As of today, it has been 7 months since we got 1.18 (I know we've had the updates with gamemodes and daily challenges to ease the pain of waiting) and the only things we may know about 1.19 are thus:

1. It will include the Item Revamp
    2. A small teaser showed some new wall-jumping mechanic that will probably be included somewhere
    3. It will probably be Road to Dern

That's it.
    7 months of waiting and that's all we've got so far.
    If the update isn't close to being ready for some reason, please just say that.
    If there's anything small that can be teased, please just let us see something.

I don't mind waiting for updates - (to show how much I love Wynncraft, I got hacked, had my Minecraft account stolen and the first thing I did was buy ranks for my Alt account and continue playing Wynncraft on that account.) I just hate being kept in the dark about what's coming especially after I've put so much of my time and money into Wynncraft. 7 months is a long time with no concrete information and to be totally, brutally honest, I'm sick of how whenever this lack of communication is addressed, it gets swept under the carpet and the same poor excuses show up.

Anyway, hope you're all well x

EDIT: So I fear that I may have offended some people. To clarify, I wrote this just before going to bed and was exhausted and not in a particularly good frame of mind. I'll try to clarify my thoughts on the whole matter:

Wynncraft don't release much/any information on upcoming updates throughout the year, normally we only find out what's going on about 1 or 2 months before the update drops- which used to typically be every 8 months or so; however, recently we had a 13 month gap between updates where we were kept in the dark for lots of the time and we expected something very different to what we actually got.

I don't not believe that I, nor anyone else is entitled to finding out what's coming up next, but it would be nice to know what we can all expect, especially after 7 months of silence.

I really do love Wynncraft and I'm sure everyone involved with it works very hard, but it still bugs me that after years of this poor communication existing, nothing has been done to rectify it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Send me a link to this.

Xykeal, Arkade, Aya and 5 others like this.
  3. Chigo_

Chigo_ wtf is a chigo QA CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    Thing's aren't shown for a reason. The wynncraft staff have learn't that revealing the next update months in advance isn't a good idea. Things can easily change and entire updates can be pushed aside due to internal problems and a change of focus.

TheOneImmortal and A Human like this.
  4. MegidoGamerGod

MegidoGamerGod megido >gamer< god GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Xykeal, Arkade, ParkourTNT and 2 others like this.
  5. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I saw that a while ago, but I thought they were just jumping around, and the "there hard at work" was ironic.

Xykeal and That_Chudley like this.
  6. one_ood

one_ood c lown VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    sounds a bit entitled, idk about yall

also, there are many reasons they dont reveal too much about updates
    primarily, things can change. imagine them saying that rtd would be released in 1.18, and then it wasnt. that would be a massive letdown for everyone

also, if they hype up updates and over reveal everything, no one will have the joy of figuring out stuff on their own. also, if they hype it up too much, people will be disappointed this happened with molten heights update

7. Druser

Druser ele defs don't matter HERO Featured Wynncraftian

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If they were clear about that, it would go over just fine. I've seen it work perfectly well elsewhere.

8. Chigo_

Minecraft:
    I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. The team was clear about RTD being the next update and eventually it got pushed away to another update, after that people were mad. Just because not everybody is raging mad that doesn't mean there won't be the 5% who are furious. While I agree keeping it on the down-low can have it's faults in the end, just not revealing it until it's almost ready and they know they are going to push it seems like the best option.

A Human likes this.
  9. Druser

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    They were not clear about progress throughout the update at all.

I'll point to the source of my profile pic, the author Brandon Sanderson. He's well-known for consistent output, generally 350k words a year or thereabouts, which is pretty high. He also has a reputation opposite GRRM or Rothfuss - that of releasing books on time. Thing is, this reputation isn't particularly well-deserved - for example the upcoming Stormlight Archive Book 4 is coming out about 3-4 years later than originally planned, since he underestimated the time needed to write the Stormlight Archive books by half (18 months versus the current 3-3.5 year gaps). However, no one holds that against him because he's always up front about how his writing is going, estimated timeline for the near future and far future, and on the occasions where he shelves a draft entirely we're kind of expecting it since he's letting us know. He even has a progress bar on his website. Despite the delays, no one really complains when he shelves a draft, or delays a book by years, because we get constant info and always know why.

10. ShadowMage1

ShadowMage1 Seraph of Twilight CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    I see you're a fan of Stormlight Archives. I only finished the first book and plan to read the second one.

Theeef and Druser like this.
  11. Violet Knight

Violet Knight Aspiring front-end developer HERO

Minecraft:
    I'd love to hear why the communication is so bad, but... that's probably not going to happen anytime soon. So we're left speculating.
    To communicate with your playerbase, and to do it well, you have to know what you're communicating about. Undeveloped and unlikely features shouldn't be the topic. Anything too detailed is likely to change. If you talk about something as if it's set in stone, though it later changes drastically, should be avoided as well. In other words, you can only really talk about themes, settings, work-in-progress things and the like. But it seems we barely got even that. Why?
    One reason could be that the communication between the staff and CT members is terrible as well. People don't know what they're working on, can't coordinate or work together, those kinds of things. If it's this, the best move for the developers would be to simply adress their lack of communication skill, apologize and possibly add someone who is good at coordination to the team.
    Another reason might be that the CT is afraid to overhype the players, which is I believe what happened with the Gavel Update and probably some other updates. They allow not a shred of a spoiler to reach us, which certainly won't leave us disappointed when the update eventually drops, but will keep us entirely in the dark before that. They might just be oblivious to our frustation, or maybe they consider underhyping a slightly better alternative to overhyping. The solution here: learn how to properly spoil new feaures from other developers. Re-Logic, the team behind Terraria, is in my opinion a great example: they show off creative and interesting things without spoiling the potential and intricate detail, leaving the player hungry for more, but knowing for the most part of what's coming.
    The last reason I can come up with is that they're working so incredibly hard on the next update that they just don't have the time to talk to us. I really don't think it's this one.

Dream and RazorGuild like this.
  12. Chigo_

Minecraft:
    I'm not sure what you are trying to get at anymore. I told you there are different options and things happen depending on what is selected. The wynncraft staff has decided to keep it more on the down-low and this has been effective, by not raising hopes and then crushing them when something changes. One more key point, different fan bases also have different reactions about certain changes.

A Human likes this.
  13. Druser

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I wouldn't exactly say this has been effective.

Je Hooft and Theeef like this.
  14. Chigo_

Minecraft:
    I feel like you keep ignoring what i'm saying. The content team has been keeping the update on the down-low because it could still be scrapped at any point. Promising a major update and then not being able to finish it is always a possibility and the content team doesn't want to upset anybody else by saying something major will happen and then not being able to deliver. So it has been effective in their way.

15. CountBurn

CountBurn Hackysack? HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Is there really still not enough content? How many more updates do we need w

16. Druser

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Everyone assumes the update is going to be RtD. So if it doesn't turn out that way, they'll have to announce it to inevitable backlash. Being forthright about the progress of RtD continuously would lessen that backlash.

CylinderKnot, Enduh, Je Hooft and 6 others like this.
  17. RazorGuild

RazorGuild FEATURED WYNNCEAFTIAN (WIP) (IM MAKING IT BIG) HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    If they can't show a teeny tiny part of the update that won't be changed I think CT has a major fucking problem. It shouldn't be too hard to have some core stuff down for the update to show in either in pictures or literally described in words. Currently, CT is radio silent, which is god awful and I can't seem to picture why you would ever think this approach is better compared to getting at least any god damn info.

18. That_Chudley

Minecraft:
    People have been brining up not showing parts of the update because things might change. I'm not suggesting they say "There's 4 new quests" and "These 25 new ingredients have been added", all I suggest is that an image maybe a couple of finished ingredients, or the name of a quest, or a screenshot of a bit of a new area are released. It's not hard.

19. YoshisWorld

YoshisWorld Famous Adventurer Media CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Is this serious with the wallkicks? Just asking

20. That_Chudley

Minecraft:
    Yeah, someone already put a link to it in this thread - I don't think it's a feature for the whole game though, probably just a gimmick for the revamped/corrupted Undergrowth Ruins dungeon

BqwaOLD and YoshisWorld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.