Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Let's Count To 10 000!

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by mysterio772, Mar 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshLegacy

JoshLegacy Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:

Hey, have I ever told you guys that I hate standardized testing?
    Cause I hate standardized testing.

2. mysterio772

mysterio772 A random guy from the Internet, also Chrom main

Minecraft:

I don't think we have a lot of these in France (if I understand the concept correctly).
    Since it seems to treat everyone on the same level, why are you against it ?

3. Reminiscently

Reminiscently The Clownfish Prince

Minecraft:
    It isn't that hard to pass it. They give you 4 hours, after all.
    I just wish it wasn't that stressful. I'm not talking about the actual test, but I'm paranoid that the "fill in the bubble thing" I did is wrong. "It needs to be perfect", they say. Also on an online test, I got a 270 for math, I got a 246 for reading, and 249 for science. All are pretty high scores, in relation to the national average.(I don't know what they're out of).

4. Tsukiji

Tsukiji Basking in nostalgia

I'm always paranoid that I accidentally bubbled the answers one answer off. (Ex. Answer#1 is bubbled as #2)

5. pippi~

pippi~ ritoru demon

Minecraft:

mfw you realise you bubbled them one off for the entire test and you have 2 mins to correct them all

6. Tsukiji

Mfw you double check twice and take an hour break and then notice the mistake at 10 seconds left.

7. JoshLegacy

JoshLegacy Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    7227 Hey, this number is the same backwards and fowards.

I'm against it because 45 minutes is not an appropriate amount of time to write an essay.

8. Tsukiji

I like having less time on my essays, because then they grade less harshly. :p
    And my style of writing focuses on fetting all my thoughts down as dast as possible, with aome organization inbetween. >.<

9. mysterio772

Minecraft:

Ok, in France with the baccalauréat (bac) it is totally different. We have a whole bunch of exams in several subjects.

For the scientific series, you have :

French language (*4) : 4 hours written (question on a group of text plus a dissertation and a text comment or "invention writing"), 20 minutes oral (1 year before the other exams)
    TPE (on one topic realted to 2 scientific school subjects) (*2, bonus) : a written file relating your work along the year (slideshow, website...) and a 20 minute oral to present your work (1 year before the other exams)
    History-Geography (*3) : 3 hours, with a document analysis or a map to realise, along with a composition on a chapter
    Maths (*7) : 4 hours
    Physics and Chemistry (*6) : written for 3 hours and a half, practical works for 1 hour
    Earth and Life Sciences (*6) : written for 3 hours and a half (knowledge restitution, document analysis), practical works for 1 hour
    First Foreign Language (*3) : written for 3 hours (comprehension and expression), oral comprehension for 20 minutes (watching or listening a document 3 times and summarize it in French), oral expression for 10 minutes (5 minutes to present a notion, 5 minutes to discuss)
    Second Foreign Language (*2) : same as above but the written test lasts for 2 hours
    Philosophy (*3) : 4 hours, dissertation or text commenting
    Physical Education (*2) : average between your 3 marked sports duting the year
    Speciality Subject (Maths or E&L Sciences or P&C) : (*+2) : one exercise from the written test is changed to correspond to this subject's program

Bonus exams : allowed to chose two (*2 for the first one and *1 for the second one), can be Sports, Arts (including Music), Latin, Greek, Physical Education, Non-Linguistic Subject (basically a regular subject but in an other language, often English, sometimes German, which is part of the European Section, which is a renforced Foreign Language course)

Note : in some schools, Earth and Life Sciences can be replaced by Engineering Sciences, but I don't really know about this one

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  10. Reminiscently

Minecraft:
    Ah, and here I am on the forums page scrolling along.

11. mysterio772

Minecraft:

12. Tsukiji

13. mysterio772

Minecraft:

14. Spinel

Spinel Pronounced Spin-nell, not Spine-el VIP+

Minecraft:
    I dislike it for a number of reasons:

1. It’s boring. You spend hours doing the test with little to no stretch breaks and it’s just so tedious.

2. It doesn’t count towards anything. My Smarter Balanced scores (that’s what the state standarized test is called where I live) never helped me get into the highest math class, it didn’t help me get into middle school, and it certainly didn’t help for getting into high school. Basically, your score is only a trophy to brag about if you got a good score. If you count the SAT as a standarized test, that’s the only one I know of that actually matters.

3. Sometimes, the questions can be bullshit, especially math. If you weren’t taught the math concept the question uses, you most likely won’t get it right. What if I have a math teacher that isn’t the best and doesn’t prepare us for things like these?

15. Reminiscently

Minecraft:
    (put the dot)
    My scores don't really count towards anything except my report card, and that doesn't really count as anything except for [see above] a bragging rights/trophy.

16. Spinel

Spinel Pronounced Spin-nell, not Spine-el VIP+

Minecraft:

Where I live, your scores aren’t displayed on your report card, the report card is only for letter grades and notes about behavior. Thing is, your report card is the only thing that really matters, not your standarized test scores.

17. mysterio772

Minecraft:

About the boring part of your exam, I honestly think it's not that bad, especially if you compare it to our French exam system (detailled above in case you missed it). After all, all exams are boring, aren't they ?
    About the useless, it is sadly the same for most ""important"" exams in every country, which shows the negative aspects of the school system. For our baccalauréat, it's the exact same thing.
    About the dumb questions, I don't quite agree with you (even though I don't know a lot at all about these exams), because I see it as a way to find a result in an autonomous way, without being guided. It is true that some teachers are bad, but, if it's the most ""important"" national exam, aren't they supposed to make you prepared to that kind of questions, with some kind of mock exam ?

Also what I haven't mentioned about the French system is that we aren't marked with letters, but from 0 to 20, and the average class mark is often put into perspective. On our report card, we get our average marks and commentaries for each subject, plus an overall coment and something such as Congratulations, Encouragements or Work Warning. Since the admission to higher education is based on application file, the report cards are the things that count the most, especially the ranking in class (which never appears before this point) and the comments. The baccalauréat doesn't change anything, except that you can't be accepted in higher education without this diploma (and it's quite hard not to pass it).

Spinel likes this.
  18. Reminiscently

Minecraft:
    It's counted in our average...
    I've noticed that, on my report card, they number notes, so 008 is: "Is a pleasure in class" or 007 is like: "works hard". There also probably warnings but I haven't seen any of those.
    (My teacher's very affectionate cat died, her husband said that he never saw a cat behave like that towards a human, so she's getting another one... that's really sad, it was a heart attack)

19. mysterio772

Minecraft:

I've lost two cats in my life, that's definitely something hard.
    You only have one teacher ?

20. Reminiscently

Minecraft:
    Sorry,
    *One of my..
    I've lost a dog, and about 10 goldfish...
    I'm with a cat now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.