Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Regarding The Silkweb Mail Changes

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by hppeng, Jan 7, 2019.

?

Old or new Silkweb?

1. New Silkweb

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Old Silkweb

26 vote(s)
    89.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hppeng

hppeng 0 intel is the correct amount of intel HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    First, for those who aren't familiar with what Silkweb mail is:
    Currently:
    https://www.wynndata.tk/i/Silkweb+Mail

Planned changes:
    https://wynndata.tk/ci/Custom-286170120

As of right now, Silkweb Mail to me is an item that just screams hybrid. It has plenty of life steal and mana steal, and some skill points, and also boosts powder special damage with the %melee boost. The -tier also helps proc steals and charge powder specials.

Although its not a commonly used item, I think its an item with potential. I can see it being used in a viable build, there are no real substitutes for it, and if I got a good one on a loot run, I'd keep it.

However, the new Silkweb Mail doesn't seem like it has a place. While it does boast the second highest raw melee damage for a chesplate in the game (after taurus), the -1 tier makes it overall unappealing. The difference in melee dps between a very fast and super fast weapon is a good 40%, and the -tier more than counters the added raw melee damage. It'd be more worth it to use Coat of Byakko and another raw melee boosting armor piece in almost all cases. The air damage looks kinda nice until you realize that there aren't really any viable air-based melee items. Finally, the mana steal is gone. That cuts off an entire class of possibilities for Silkweb being used in a spell or hybrid build. Besides, even if you're melee, spells are super useful (assassin blind, mage teleport, archer escape or shield to name a few), and mana is still important.

Overall I think the Silkweb changes will put it in a worse place than before, to the point that if I came across anything besides maybe a maxed Silkweb I'd just toss it to the item buyer. It looks almost completely worthless (except for that one divzer raw melee meme! woohoo!)

Even if old Silkweb doesn't completely fit the earth-air archetype of raw melee and totally incompetent spells *ahem* harwrol I far prefer old silkweb to the new changed version.

So yeah idk if the item team would be willing to reverse those changes just my two cents

or five cents

EDIT: Fixed broken custom item

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. ferricles

ferricles Rhyming is fun HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You're supposed to be [​IMG]

Woissh, NITEHAWKX, trex1611 and 10 others like this.
  3. tig

tig "Because EO parkour killed my grandma, OK???"

Minecraft:
    tbh i didnt pay much attention to silkweb ever, but this new one looks like shit. this should also probs be on the item thread as a feedback post

trex1611, hppeng and by2011 like this.
  4. Mistrise Mystic

Mistrise Mystic Surfing winds and chasing windfalls HERO

Minecraft:
    Yeah, I agree. I could maybe see it being used with Nona or something, but otherwise it just seems less focused

hppeng likes this.
  5. by2011

by2011 category creator VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    agree agree agree agree (add poll idk)

first let's get this out of the way
    https://wynndata.tk/s/rqBow2
    https://wynndata.tk/s/hCoxLV
    i know 2 builds aren't enough to say an item isn't underpowered, but hopefully you get my point, i spent like 5 mins on these anyway and too lazy to keep going

I guess I'll throw in my 2.71828 cents

Preface: I don't know everything, I'm probably wrong about a some things.

Fast Weapon Melee Build

This is what I'm assuming the concept of new Silkweb is, take a fast weapon with melee potential, throw on Silkweb + another tier stack item, and now you have a cool melee build. I like this concept. It's cool. So, I think that the change for Silkweb is a good- https://wynndata.tk/s/P3YLU1. I will address viable vs. optimal later on, in the "Straight up Damage Boosting Item" section.

Hybrid:

If you're going for Air Hybrid (which is already subpar), new Silkweb MIGHT work, except old Silkweb would still (IMO) be far superior due to it patching up the lack of Air Mana Steal items. Keep in mind I'm not judging new Silkweb as an item, but as an item change.

Elemental Defense Patchup:

Alright, we have this cool item with +Earth Defense on an Air (ish) oriented item, so we can use it in combination with powerful Air (ish) items with -Earth Defense such as Sagittarius and Capricorn, right? Yeah, so- er, what?
    Pride of Aerie has supererior Elemental Defenses in addition to lower reqs and for better SP? Well, at least it's a helme-
    Dreamcloud has similar capabilities except with (IMO) better reqs, overall better Elemental Defense, on top of 3/4 mana regen?
    And, uh, Vacuum nets you solid Earth Defense with similar Reqs in addition to the -Elemental Defense already likely negated because it's -Air instead of -Fire, which is Air's weakness, on top of 3/4 Mana Regen and Raw Spell?

Straight up Damage Boosting Item:

(Assuming you're boosting Air Damage) This is difficult to explain, but basically, you need to slap on extra mana boosting items in order to make up for the fact that you no longer have access to Dreamcloud, Boreal Patterned Aegis, Stillwater Blue, or even Conduit of Spirit which are in my opinion some of the strongest Air Chestplates out there. Therefore, you'll likely have to use either Boots (OK, that usually happens anyway, leaving you with) + Leggi- HAHAHAHAHA or Helmet and/or accessories. Often times, sacrificing your helmet slot or multiple accessory slots is not worth the damage boost from Silkweb. I believe that if you try to use new Silkweb as an Air Boosting item, I could think of a better build that uses different items that aren't new Silkweb.

NOW
    , you may be thinking, "items don't have to be 100% superior to other items, just be creative and have fun with your builds" or "optimal != viable" or something of that sort. Note that I am not talking about new Silkweb as an item as I would if I were explaining why Medeis or Umbral Mail are both good, but rather as an item change. Why should an item that is unique, cool, and niche, but powerful in its niche go to "powercrept before it was released" Vacuum/Dreamcloud/Pride of the Aerie/Taurus?

TL;DR/Conclusion:
    There's really not any/many jobs new Silkweb does well enough to not be replaced, not to mention that the jobs that new Silkweb DOES do decently, it's outclassed by old Silkweb.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    trex1611, Druser and hppeng like this.
  6. hppeng

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Nice Silkweb build tho

Added poll

by2011 likes this.
  7. by2011

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    that was a humorous attempt at showing that new silkweb is mega-powercrept before it was even implemented, added some (old) silkweb builds

hppeng likes this.
  8. Goden

Goden Everlasting Excellency HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Actually never paid attention to it but now that I look at it I'm kinda curious to try it out and sad it's being changed.. IB'd a godly one the other day because I passed it off as garbage, rip

hppeng likes this.
  9. Benjin

Benjin Famous Adventurer

Don't see why you could just replicate a Silkweb using the crafting system

hppeng likes this.
  10. hppeng

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yes, you probably could, but then again you could also replicate new Silkweb, but debatably better (~300 melee, no -tier, 60 dex req, and higher ls) :/
    (3x razor-sharp tooth, corrupted fragment or volatile matter, and 2x demonic blood) (also idk how durability works)

Old Silkweb clone (kinda):
    2x Enhanced dynamics microchip, ironwood chips, 2x demonic blood, 1 free slot)
    +~250 raw melee (cool!), 2/4 - 4/4 ms, +40% melee, +200 ls, +400 poison, -1 tier* and 1 more slot
    70 dex and 18 str req

Maybe that's why, cause with crafting you can (debatably) make a better version of old Silkweb, but then again the same applies for a lot of items (especially most damage or ws based accessories) so I'm not sure this should be an issue

EDIT: old silkweb clone has -tier wheo

11. by2011

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    durability would probably be annoying, old silkweb = big oof dex req, no -tier (so far), also no sp (so far)

hppeng likes this.
  12. hppeng

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Oops forgot it does have -1 tier (ironwood chips, I rememberd that XD)
    but no sp :( and reqs a lot higher
    you can get the reqs really low but then only have 1/4-2/4 ms, however 2 free slots so maybe more -tier and more ls?

by2011 likes this.
  13. Benjin

Benjin Famous Adventurer

Durability wouldn't actually be much of a problem, incase you don't know how durability works, it doesn't break the item it only makes it weaker upon use (stats stay the same I'm sure and it only affects health for armor and dmg for weapons and whatnot I believe) and to repair a crafted item you use scrap which means taking a item of some kind (don't use something valuable) and scrapping it to get scrap to repair your items, so yes this is ok if you have enough un-needed uniques and rares but ingredients can also remove and add durability so yes depends on how much stats you wanna add to your item which may or may not change durability increasingly or decreasingly

14. by2011

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i do know how durability works
    considering that hppeng used all but one of the crafting slots, i'd assume that the new chestplate would have low durability (currently has -250 from base durability, -220 if you ad borange fluff i guess? too lazy to find best + durability item), but i don't know how much "base durability" you have.

repeatedly going to the whatever the item buyer is called now would be probably be annoying

even losing hp is a big problem, going from 100% to 0% is like holding a cataclysm (idk hp on crafted silkweb lol), except without the actual perks of cataclysm

trex1611 and hppeng like this.
  15. SilverMirror

SilverMirror Retired IM HERO

Minecraft:
    You have received your comment from the IM team in the appropriate place for item discussions, please try to avoid making a separate post to generate traffic when you know about the update thread...

For everyone else reading this, we ask that anything item related that wanted to be taken seriously (so no memes or troll posts), especially feedbacks, to be discussed in the item team official update thread. Not like we ban you from making feedbacks outside of that thread, but that thread serves as a centralised hub for anything related to items, such as rebalance changelog, item team updates as well as a discussion board. So if anyone is interested in providing feedback on items and ingredients, or just want to discuss other people's feedback, or just want to be more active in the item and build community, go check the thread out and join in or start discussions there.

hppeng, xSuper_Jx and by2011 like this.
  16. Muchwag

Muchwag Don’t call me Poliwhirl! VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yooo air chestplate!

17. by2011

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    as an air chestplate, it's sort of meh imo

18. Muchwag

Muchwag Don’t call me Poliwhirl! VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    it’s the chestplate with the highest air damage now. also it’s super good. no req and earth def is pretty insane for an air chestplate https://wynndata.tk/s/YhbKQ5 capri heph and it are pretty good combo

19. hppeng

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I mean yes but

[​IMG]

Also noticed that theres that nice earth helmet coming out with 4/4 ms (but it has -ls so sad still)

EDIT: I forgot to add reqs, so the build you posted isn't actually usable
    if it was really no req than yes pls gimme but sadly its not :(

Druser likes this.
  20. by2011

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    cool build, but unusable because the new silkweb mail has 50 str and 20 agi req (new silkweb has 50 str and 25 agi req), hppeng just didn't add it (oof).

the issue is (in an air build):
    strength req in addition to massive -fire makes this chestplate incredibly hard to use in an air build that competes with, say, vacuum or dreamcloud.

as for its "official" purpose (melee build with base fast attack speed),
    https://wynndata.tk/s/fdDbgc i tried, it seems to be stronger than other builds of the same style, except the concept is so underpowered (or i feel it to be so) that it doesn't matter lol

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    hppeng likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.