Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

How Big Is Wynn, Actually?

Discussion in 'Wynncraft' started by Elblob, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elblob

Elblob hi

Minecraft:
    2 provinces and an entire ocean is not a few thousand square meters. the in game map is probably just a shrunken down version, highlighting only the noteworthy parts of the world. So in a realistic sense, how big would Wynncraft be?
    Please this has been bothering me for 2 years

Edit: guys stop trying to find the minecraft map's literal surface area. If I wanted to know that I would do grade six math and figure it out. What I'm wondering is how large the world is lore wise. In the tower of amnesia quest, what's his face tells you that getting all the scrolls from each city could take a couple of years. It took 10 minutes for me. I'm sorry but if there really were that many farms in game (were talking double digits for the whole map), everyone would die in 1 week. Evidently the world is larger than it is in game, since the in game map is sort of "simplified", showing only the important, story worthy locations such as major cities, etc. I'm wondering how large the whole map would be in a realistic sense.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Gogeta and coolname2034 like this.
  2. euouae

euouae euouae VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    2/3*

also, according to minecraft, I think it said steve was 2 blocks tall, and he was 6 feet tall.
    So
    I need someone to do the math if each block has an area of 9 feet..
    that would be our answer

3. Supertaster

Supertaster Will single-Handedly crash wynncraft economy HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Like 4 big maybe less

4. RamonaFlowers

RamonaFlowers Subspace Delivery Girl CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
  5. captainganon

captainganon God of k | Derpalope VIP+

Minecraft:
    1 block is 1 meter cubed, so they have an area of 1 meter square and a length/width/height of 1 meter.

coolname2034 and ThomAnn100 like this.
  6. Supertaster

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    He means how big wynn would be realistically, since the province is like a thousand square blocks (meters) or something, which is barely a city irl.

coolname2034 likes this.
  7. euouae

euouae euouae VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I think he means the expanse of Wynn in a sense of realistic units, while at the same time being realistic.

coolname2034 likes this.
  8. TheRelicHunter

TheRelicHunter Member of the wynncast VIP+

Minecraft:
    Through calculation using the units in the answer above, The entirety of the Wynn server after the Fruma and Dern updates will be 32 million 287 thousand and 500 cubic metres, or 32287.5 kilometres. Since we don't know the proportion that the province would be shrunk down at, it would be impossible to calculate the exact size of Wynn in proportion to real life.

9. Stormarend

Stormarend The classes DO NOT correspond with the elements.

Minecraft:
    Eh, it's not.

10. sdkgjnio

sdkgjnio hod-SOH-nee-uhs

Minecraft:
    Right. So are we saying that the towns and cities of Wynn are as they are now, when they're way smaller than a typical medieval city? Cinfras is only about 200 metres across and yet it's the biggest city in the world. We'd need to know to what extent. What would the population of a city like, say Almuj, realistically be? Then you'd have to think what proportion of Wynn is agricultural land, and which parts would still be about the same size (eg. the Roots of Corruption), and then see how much farmland you'd need to support that many people using medieval methods. There's also the ocean. Wynncraft's islands are unrealistically close together. What would the actual island density be? We can use clues from boats I guess, see how far each sort of boat can realistically travel with the supplies it carries. The relatively small Seaskipper still has to be able to sail from Half Moon Island to Llevigar without stopping. There's a LOT to think about here.

Sonick, Gogeta, MOOOSH and 2 others like this.
  11. FinnDestren

FinnDestren Lonely lore enthusiast

Minecraft:
    According to Guinness World Records, the overworld measures roughly 22 million square metres (approximately 4,000 blocks x 5,500 blocks).

Sonick, coolname2034 and Miles_ like this.
  12. i eat bees

i eat bees i eat bees HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Is no one questioning how our player is literally 2 meters tall?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  13. aws404

aws404 Wynn CMD VIP+

Minecraft:
    Well assuming that 1 block is equal to 1 meter cubed, then because there are 18,115,268 blocks on the surface of the map (Inc, Ocean and the hills surrounding the map) then the entire surface area would be around 18.12 square kms.
    Without the ocean there are 5,861,138 blocks or 5.86 square kms

14. OnlyCocoa

OnlyCocoa Candy Adventurer

Minecraft:
    Goodness everyone, he's asking how big the real world of Wynn (in say, the lore) would be. NOT the game map.

Like other games of its kind, Wynncraft's game map is shrunk down because A) otherwise it would take forever to get anywhere B) otherwise it would be impossible to add all the content due to the size of everything and C) although a full size city, say Cinfras, would be cool, there would be way too much to explore and it would go to waste.

Take a game like Skyrim, for example. The lore map is several hundred kilometers across, but the game map is under ten kilometers. @Elblob is asking about the lore map size, not the game map.

Gogeta, coolname2034 and Elblob like this.
  15. Elblob

Elblob hi

Minecraft:
    Thank you

16. aws404

aws404 Wynn CMD VIP+

Minecraft:
    I understand this but there is no accurate way of measuring it as there is nothing to compare from, and as far as I'm aware its not mentioned anywhere in the lore.

Miles_ likes this.
  17. FinnDestren

FinnDestren Lonely lore enthusiast

Minecraft:
    In the underground ruins of old Detlas, there is a journal that says "It's nothing but farmland for as far as the eye can see around here".

The farthest point where the eye can see should be the horizon. I then searched the internet and found a horizon calculator and a table that tells how far the horizon should be from the observation height. In both the calculator and the table I put the observation height as 2 metres (as that's apparently the length of our character) and got the distance of the horizon as 5.1 kilometres. That should then indicate that there is at least a 5 kilometre radius of farmland around Detlas.

I don't know if this is correct, but at least I tried.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    OnlyCocoa likes this.
  18. Shanaaro

Shanaaro . HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    incorrect, player models aren't quite 2 blocks tall. The player's 1.8m high :P

Gogeta likes this.
  19. Supertaster

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    we can't have any shordies in the wynn army

Gogeta and Elblob like this.
  20. sdkgjnio

sdkgjnio hod-SOH-nee-uhs

Minecraft:
    Brilliant. There are two major places near Detlas that are not farmland and we know would have existed at the time (we really don't know if say, Ternaves existed yet). These are the Roots of Corruption and Ancient Nemract. The portal may not be all that visible at the time. We know it was discovered underground by miners, so we know that at least when the portal was opened there wasn't much to see on the surface. I think that over the 500ish years between this and the Theorick and Garoth cutscenes we see the Roots in, the spikes would have gradually formed, possibly aided by Bak'al, who we know can create them. So we can go on Ancient Nemract. By my quick calcualtions, the edge of Detlas is about 300m from the edge of Ancient Nemract ingame, so this means that the world is at least 17 times the scale of the map. Of course, this depends on Wynn's planet having the same diameter as the Earth.

Going off of my Seaskipper method again, the most fitting classification of the Seaskipper is a caravel. These ships can travel about 90-100 miles in one day. The longest trip the Seaskipper can make is Half Moon Island to Llevigar, an in-game distance of 4.1km. Taking a maximum real distance of 150km as the Seaskipper never seems to take more than a day based on the captain's dialogue, we get a maximum scale of 36 times in-game scale.

So, according to very rough calculations that may be completely wrong, I calculate that the real size of Wynn is between 17 and 36 times what we see in-game. We can calculate agricultural land area and likely population later...

Libraeum, Gogeta and FinnDestren like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.