Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

In the News The Fcc Has Killed Net Neutrality.

Discussion in 'Nemract's Bar' started by Nepeta Leijon, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Press F to pay respects.

1. F.

69.2%
  2. uck Ajit Pai.

78.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrickBuilder03

BrickBuilder03 A penguin that likes turtles. VIP

Minecraft:
    That would be true in most of the world, however the problem in the US goes waaaaaaaay deeper then net neutrality. As in a lot of other industries, a few companies has a virtual monopoly and has lobbied Congress to introduce anti-competition laws. In the rest of the world these cartels the internet companies are forming would be VERY illegal, however in America it would be ridiculous to actually have a free market. Why doesn't this get changed when the public has shown interest in the problem? Because the US has really really really big political problems such as First Past the Post, the Electoral College and constant lobbying.

NOTE: I AM JUST A PRETENIOUS EUROPEN THAT THINKS HE KNOWS STUFF

Ice Guy and *Stalin* like this.
  2. *Stalin*

*Stalin* Well-Known Adventurer

Oh it annoys you there's a capitalist government? Good attitude comrade!

ThomAnn100 likes this.
  3. BrickBuilder03

BrickBuilder03 A penguin that likes turtles. VIP

Minecraft:
    No, it annoys me that there is a broken democracy.

ThomAnn100 and coolname2034 like this.
  4. coolname2034

coolname2034 Formerly known as NPCGrian HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:

5. Nepeta Leijon

Nepeta Leijon Rogue of Heart ♌ Leittarius CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    [​IMG]
    Can we maybe step back a calm down a little here? I'd rather not get this thread locked over a flame war. I think we can all agree that Net Neutrality going away is a really bad thing.

6. Supertaster

Supertaster Will single-Handedly crash wynncraft economy HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Are you telling me the fate of the whole internet is dependant on 5 politicians
    The U.S is so corrupt

7. TheWiz99

TheWiz99 (almost) Grand Wizard

Minecraft:
    No, the FCC's vote is merely the first step.
    They still have to go through our legislative process and a Supreme Court case in order for the whole repeal to be set in stone. Meanwhile they are going to have to fend off against multiple states in the court room.

Besides, this isn't the first time they tried to pull this kind of thing. The only specific example that comes to mind is SOPA and there were others after that one and each one failed. It only seems now that the issue is entering the limelight and getting the massive attention it has now.

8. Zahr

Zahr You begrudgingly don the COMICAL HAT. VIP+

Minecraft:
    >when you cant win an argument but it's okay because the opponent is "brainwashed"
    [​IMG]

9. H0Y

H0Y H0Y HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    20 percent dont want NN > 80 percent want NN

I guess we should kill NN

10. ThePyro_

ThePyro_ Mayor of Corkus HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Okay, I’ve wanted to know for so long now, what’s with the freaking images with every single message? I get that we need encourage artsy and creative ideas, but this seems like overkill.

ThomAnn100 likes this.
  11. Nepeta Leijon

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    [​IMG]
    I was originally inspired by Selvut who used W.D. Gaster images to punctuate his messages. I just use my reaction gifs to add some emotion or additional meaning to my messages, e.g.

[​IMG]
    I'd use this if I was feeling angry

[​IMG]
    Or this if I was happy!

12. ThePyro_

ThePyro_ Mayor of Corkus HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Well, I’m aware of why you use them. But why with every single message? Like I could understand if you’re angry and you use it but..

13. Nepeta Leijon

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    [​IMG]
    For fun I guess.

14. DrakeM1

DrakeM1 101 Archer / Made RPRT / Mayor of Tree Island HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Selvut said this: https://twitter.com/Selvut283/status/941426335351738368. I thought it was a good response.

As someone who lives in the United States, I will be directly affected by this if the repeal goes through -- but even if I lived in Europe, as many Wynncraft players do, I would still be worried about this whole situation. The reason why is this: if net neutrality is repealed here in the United States, it might inspire telecom companies in Europe to lobby harder for the same sort of repeal in the European Union, or the United Kingdom. What I'm trying to say is this: if you don't care about this situation because you live outside of the United States, understand that this situation could very well be in your country not too long from now.

I don't want to anger anybody with this, but please understand that net neutrality and this recent development affects all of us.

// DrakeM1

OGK likes this.
  15. *Stalin*

>when you say to bait harder and proceed to get baited into thinking it's an actual argument
    How 2 image

16. Zahr

Zahr You begrudgingly don the COMICAL HAT. VIP+

Minecraft:
    >lol guys i'm just baiting i'm not actually a commie!

17. *Stalin*

It won't tho, because the EU actually has consumer protection laws. And actual competition as well. I've been to an island in the middle east with more internet provider competition than the US. One bit of regulation being the only thing stopping corporations fucking you over shows just how flawed the entire treatment of consumers/corporations is

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  18. DrakeM1

DrakeM1 101 Archer / Made RPRT / Mayor of Tree Island HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I agree that the overall protections in the European Union are probably more protective for consumers than here in the United States. The United States, as an overall country, has serious problems in the government. The FCC and current net neutrality situation are symptoms of this -- many regulations are not only outdated, they lack the necessary depth to regulate the Internet and thus net neutrality in the United States is easily manipulated by telecom companies. Of course there should be more checks and balances -- in that respect, I understand what you're saying.

However, the EU's laws and regulations are not bulletproof. One example is this: in the European Union, there exists a loophole allowing the practice known as "zero rating" by telecom companies. Zero rating is the process by which telecom companies exclude certain traffic from overall data caps. Let's say you could choose between Streaming Site A (run by a telecom company) and Streaming Site B (not run by a telecom company). Due to the allowance of "zero rating," Streaming Site A would not incur extra costs upon your person (for exceeding data caps), but since B is not connected to the telecom company, they would incur extra fees upon you for visiting.

You have to remember that we're talking about telecom companies -- groups that exist for the sole purpose of gaining money. It is in their best interests to promote their content to make more money, which is why the scenario above is so prevalent. It is also in their best interests to exploit weaknesses in and take down net neutrality. Regulations can be repealed -- it is what looks like might happen here. If there is something that expressly makes it so that EU net neutrality cannot be repealed, please let me know. I will research this topic as well, because I will be much uplifted if that is the case.

Thank you for the taking the time to share your point of view. Hopefully I do not come across as wanting to cause a conflict. I am simply trying to explain the situation as I understand it. I agree with most of what you have said -- US regulations need more checks and balances (not just when it comes to net neutrality, but regulations in general) so that a repeal cannot come about this easily. However, from what I understand, the EU's regulations are not bulletproof. If you can provide evidence to the contrary, please do so.

// DrakeM1

BrickBuilder03, OGK and Nepeta Leijon like this.
  19. Lexwomy

Lexwomy Lexwomy HERO

Minecraft:
    im pretty sure ik what you're talking about ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

20. Swimming_Pool

Swimming_Pool ate a pineapple, tastes like pinecones and apples

Minecraft:
    how did chu know ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.