Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

1.13 Retextures

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by Aya, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (Meric)

(Meric) No longer edgy

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    i do realise its an update that requires you to use a swappable resource pack if you dislike the update

2. AetherArising

AetherArising Famous Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    ok so you're saying you cant be bothered to click 3 times after *occasionally* having a different pack force-applied?

3. IxWolfie

IxWolfie This is a custom title

Minecraft:
    To be quite honest, I find the change necessary.

When Minecraft first came out, Notch made all of the textures. This was said earlier, but I suppose I'll re-state it. Notch was the only person who made any and all of the textures. Once Notch left, it was up to Jeb to make all of them. This caused an inconsistency as you can see from the newer textures versus the far earlier ones. You can see that the newer ones attempt to have a higher amount of detail, but the old ones (Notch's, presumably) are more "blocky" and "crisp". You can see that the birch wood was more "blurry" (which was fixed, but still looks blurrier than Notch's "crisp" birch wood).

What Mojang is attempting to do here, is to "normalize" the art. They hired a new "pixel artist", and he's re-making all of the current textures in the game to make them all seem like they came from the same artist. Which, he's succeeding in that, all of the new blocks look like they were made by the same person... Now, do I like the art that they chose is a different question? Do I find the change a good one? That's a little iffy. Minecraft's 'resource' pack, is, well... It's historic, I suppose. If I show you a block from Minecraft, nine times out of ten you'll know it came from Minecraft. With the textures changing, it means that there's going to be a divide; Which we can already see happening here... I digress. Personally, I find this change necessary, as if they're going to add more blocks; It'd look out of place if it was very well textured versus the old blocks. They're simply changing the style, they found a new artist, and they (presumably) like the style of art that they want to go with.

We've seen maybe 5-10 blocks? We don't know how they're going to fit together until the new artist has done each and every single block. Give them some time to settle and work on the major changes that Mojang told them to; From what I've been hearing and reading from their pixel artist, is that he's going to change every block texture. The pixel artist is listening to the community, and is trying to perfect things; I'd give them some more time to make things work together before making such a bold statement when we've seen maybe 5-10 changed blocks. Of course, I haven't been looking into this much; We've seen diamond blocks, obsidian, wood, a little bit of a grass change if I recall, and maybe more..? Just give them time, he said that all blocsk are going to change; This would mean that everything is made by the same artist, similar to Faithful or whatever resource pack you decide to use if you dislike the default one.

---

Do I care about the changes?
    No, not really.

I can just use a resource pack if I dislike the new textures. I made my own resource pack for that very reason. It's not hard to go find a resource pack to your liking, or tweak it so you do like it. I don't see why everyone gets upset over this, because in the end, we (PC players) can just use any resource pack we want. We could easily just google "Minecraft 1.11 Default Resource Pack", find the default textures, and load it instead of using the new ones.

---

Do I like the changes?
    Definitely not.

While I support the reasons behind the change, I dislike the change; I feel like it's a waste of their time and resources. All they'd have to do is make their textures fit the old theme of Minecraft, and with a good pixel artist, that shouldn't be too hard to pull off. They're changing what made Minecraft recognizable. However, people freaked out much like this when we had biomes, and grass that changed color with the biome... Regardless, I have to respect their decision as I am in no position of authority over them. I'll just keep using my resource pack, and only using default to make sure my block compositions look good together.

---

Indeed it does, for example, I'm on Wynncraft right now (using the "Wynncraft Texture Pack" that forces itself on). While that resource pack is on, I have 2 other packs that are automatically on. Servers that enforce a custom resource pack don't actually do anything to your packs; Some of your pack will be loaded (most often your UI, such as your hotbar and your crosshair).

Edit: Added a comma between "Obsidian" and "Wood"

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Nirguy and AetherArising like this.
  4. Shamos200

Shamos200 Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    what kind of trees do you harvest, and where do i get saplings for them

Stycore and Dohdo like this.
  5. IxWolfie

Minecraft:
    Oh, that's nice. I usually see typos but I missed a comma, rip. xd

AetherArising and Shamos200 like this.
  6. Shamos200

Minecraft:
    where do i get an obsidian tree tho

7. IxWolfie

Minecraft:
    In Hell.

Shamos200 likes this.
  8. Shamos200

Minecraft:
    k thx bye

9. Mistrise Mystic

Mistrise Mystic Surfing winds and chasing windfalls HERO

Minecraft:
    I'm talking about the actual RED BRICK block. The new texture is something like this:
    |___|___|___|
    __|___|___|__<notice how there are only three rows of interlocking bricks per block
    |___|___|___|
    Which means the bricks themselves line up like this:
    |___|___|___|
    __|___|___|__
    |___|___|___|< so that these
    |___|___|___|<don't line up correctly
    __|___|___|__
    |___|___|___|<
    |___|___|___|<
    Now do you see my problem with it?

AetherArising likes this.
  10. (Meric)

(Meric) No longer edgy

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I DOOO play on the default texture pack

But 1.13 Is no longer the Default pack

I like 1.12 and below
    So its gonna affect me @VanillaIceCream

11. IxWolfie

Minecraft:
    Erm.. Except the fact that it's the exact same thing that we have now. I feel like you're forgetting how the default pack works, I need 10 images to show a side by side; rip me for not being able to upload proof.

tl;dr new brick and old brick are exactly the same, and what you "said" happens, doesn't happen lol. I'll post a picture soon (I need one more post :p)

EDIT: Hey I can post pictures now so here you go.
    [​IMG]

Notice how what you said doesn't seem to take place here? ;p

12. Mistrise Mystic

Minecraft:
    Well it USED to, I guess he fixed it

13. IxWolfie

Minecraft:
    As I said,
    Give the dude some time, he's listening to the community. We've seen 5-10 blocks, and they're all subject to change.

AetherArising likes this.
  14. Dohdo

Dohdo I'm back. Cancer in it's purest form.

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    no....

how could he.....
    he did it again......

he's an imposter

15. Shamos200

Minecraft:
    im admintest1 and have no idea what you are talking about

16. AetherArising

AetherArising Famous Adventurer VIP+

Minecraft:
    Thought he meant "Red brick" aka nether bricks/red nether bricks

17. Mistrise Mystic

Minecraft:
    I said that like two weeks ago anyways, I can't predict the future

18. Dohdo

Dohdo I'm back. Cancer in it's purest form.

Guild:
    Minecraft:

19. Aya

Aya Very Serious Gensokyo Journalist HERO

Minecraft:
    well, i dont since well... i know, the new textures dont fit with the rest, but the thing is, there are a lot more things that TRULY need a change
    do you want examples? kk check this list:
    Oceans, they need more stuff, they are way too empty (at least i feel they are too empty)

Caves, we have been with the same 7 ores (i didnt even put time in counting them rn so dont blame me if the count is wrong) since like the 1.0 or something, also the mineshafts are a bit useless unless they are on a mesa, because on a mesa at least they generate a decent amount of gold with em, it would also be cool there were some new mobs there

Animal Variation, seriously there are like 5 animals that dont fit with the rest, or either they add more animals for each kind (such as penguins or more kind of birds) or i dont know... because there are the typical farm animals and then there are those who are completely different from the rest (parrots, squids, ice bears, bats and llamas, none of them fit with the rest, but at least squids have an use and bats are rather nice when adding life to the caves)

ehm... quick guys give me more examples

i have no problem with them retexturing stuff but... its not what we can call the most needed thing rn, those 3 things (or at least the last 2 ones) needs more stuff

20. Meroboter

Meroboter pie

Minecraft:
    1.13, seriously? why dont they just give up on the game and make something new

and dont say minecraft 2.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.