Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Serious Debate: Was The Pre Gavel Item System Better?

Discussion in 'Nemract's Bar' started by Yuno F Gasai, Jul 24, 2017.

?

Which item system was better

1. Pre gavel

30.5%
  2. Gavel w/o powders

5.3%
  3. Gavel w/ powders

64.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuno F Gasai

Yuno F Gasai Forum God, FW

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I enjoyed the old system end game, and when it got boring I started guilds which were really fun back then.
    I did play with a new class and got it to like level 80, without the new quests I would have stopped early on because it doesn't feel like an RPG, it feels like Pokemon, I have to find the elemental weakness of mobs and use the correct weapon with the correct armor which imo is bullshit.
    Yea powders are alright
    That was the endgame, what is the endgame like now?
    Pre gavel the builds were more like D&D which I like, you could have been almost immortal (or in some cases immortal), you could go for less Mana cost or more damage.

SeaOfPoison likes this.
  2. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    I never liked guilds then, and I never liked guilds now.

Neutral damage?

And again, you really don't have to worry about the elemental weakness of mobs until you get to Corrupter of Worlds, and any of the other superbosses. The Player is likely to be familiar with the elemental system.

And I know this may sound odd, but the skill point requirements actually allows for more freedom, on the GM's side at least. Back then, you were very limited on the items you could make, damage and defense was essentially decided by level and tier only, nothing else, you were also limited by the ID system. Only Bob's Mythic and the "best" armor stuck out pre-Gavel because basically nothing else mattered before that and was only there to help you level. Trade Market was stagnant as hell.

And I guess it must be a good time for you to leave in August(?) since it seems you don't enjoy the game much anymore, I'm not trying to be rude, just sayin'. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You want to know the biggest difference between pre-Gavel endgame and current endgame? Regular mobs can actually hurt me. Yes, I can kill them just as quickly as ever, but I actually need to put a little effort when loot running and/or grinding since they can still at least chip away my health. My build is very powerful but has no health regen, meaning I usually 1 or more HP potions with me at all times. Regular endgame is still easy but it at least requires a brain now, especially when you navigate more hazardous areas like Molten Heights and Sky Islands.
    I can kill Sky Islands mobs easily but when they hit me, they still do decent damage, and my build is a pseudo-Rainbow tank/offensive Water hybrid.

3. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I didn't like the new system back then and I didn't like it now
    youre correct, I lost interest in the game, guilds are glitched and im fading from the community.
    pre gavel mobs your level could still hurt you but you could roam like a god in the low level zones

4. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    Have fun with that I guess.

All I remember are Rotten Zombies doing like 1 heart, and that immediately getting healed. The fun only lasted for so long.

5. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I remember that neesak ice wolves could chip away at me, but I played as a mage.
    What class were you?

6. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    Warrior, reached 75 like 1 month after Ocean update.

7. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Warriors had a glitched defense stat that made them practically invincible if they didn't fight bosses

8. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    That was before the quest update, this was the Ocean update, I was still able to take a little bit of damage, but get healed instantly by the old broken health regen.

9. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    The glitched stats were active until gavel

10. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    I think the glitched defense you're referring to is Assassin's defense being a little too high than was intended, I don't remember any sort of post by anyone saying that Warrior's defense was glitched, I recall it always being 120%. I see nothing proving that Warrior's defense was glitched until Gavel, other than before skill points were introduced, which was in October 2013.

11. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I know someone who knows. @Selvut283 help us out

12. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    Even then, Ive been here since July 2013, played pre-Gavel Wynn a lot, and I don't remember any sort of message in chat nor any forum post saying that Warrior's defense was bugged after the quest update, and I can remember things well.

13. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It wasn't said flat out in a psa

14. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    Still, I took damage as Warrior, not much damage at all of course. Even when I played through the game as Mage, I still hardly took damage, heal was only seldom used due to the health regen. I got Mage to 75 somewhere in early 2015.

15. Selvut283

Selvut283 Circadian rhythm stuck on Tokyo time ♪ Music Item Team GM CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Warrior's defense was fine. Assassin's defense was slightly too high. Mage's defense was slightly too high. Archer's defense was fine.

16. Dohdo

Dohdo I'm back. Cancer in it's purest form.

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Albert Einstein has spoken from the grave

SeaOfPoison likes this.
  17. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I'm not sure if this would be considered necroposting, but i dont really care, i want to through this out here.
    The game is meant to be a RPG, that means role playing as different characters most of which have varied play styles. and while the quest system is still a long way off to being considered an actual RPG system, the new item system is far closer than per gavel.
    Before gavel the endgame was simply 2 armor sets and a decision of states. now in gavel we have many and a almost never ending area of builds to pick and make.
    say i want to be a strictly crowd control player. Iw could use apoc, maybe have thunder powders on it, use coi for melee, and use some tank items.
    someone who is trying to actually play a support role can use water sanc, maybe statue, some tank and melee items with lament, and use fire or water powders on it.
    you can even choose to rp using builds now, say I want to be megumin form Kono Suba "i know a cheesy example" i can use monster, some explo items, and the highest fire dmg i can find. funny enough if i were to get knuckle bones, my mana and hp would go down to 1 pretty much every metor. which is perfect, and fits the character im trying to be well.

As for it somehow being more like d&d, this makes me think you never actually played it, d&d never had any defined rules, and the game itself is based around the idea of full player freedom and choice. for example, if I wanted to turn a man into a sheep, kidnap his daughter and steal all of his money, if i got a high enough dice role. having the same experience, again and again, makes it far, far less like d&d then it is now.
    also saying you can't be almost immortal, or you can't make a build that has a fuck ton of mana, if both wrong and, well wrong. look around, there's a lot more of that now than there was then, and now it isn't just your states that change but everything does, depending on how I want to play this game. which is kinda what a rpg is about.

18. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Also that, pre gavel if you wanted crowd control you'll go mage, stealth assassins, range archers and tanks warriors. Now the classes don't feel unique
    I played D&D for the last seven years

19. JaydonTheWarrior

JaydonTheWarrior Nerf tanks, buff warrior. HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    class, shouldn't be the deciding factor in what roles you play.
    also, there was no real difference in any of the "support mage" or "crowd control" ps i have no idea what you mean by crowd control, it wasn't a thing.
    make then classes were simple, they were the main deciding factor in what you were.
    and im not sure if you know this, but in game design, you are thought to never make classes.
    making a player make such a huge choice before they even know what the game is like, is well stupid.
    wynncraft has almost fixed its system this way. despite class you can be whatever you wish by endgame, and your class will still effect your play style in a large way without it being the be all end all in how you play.
    which is a good thing.
    so maybe classes don't feel as unique, even though it bearly changed them at all.
    every player can be unique now.

so sure all the classes can be anything, however, some do it better than others, and it also affects how you play that role.
    which is a way better design, then a class system? that is a linear experience and keeps the player from making any choice in how they want to play after.

20. The Detective

The Detective Jules_Power

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Pre-Gavel was very different, both good and bad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.