Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

What Do The Devs Mean By "code"?

Discussion in 'Questions' started by GoodNermss, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodNermss

GoodNermss Your friendly neighborhood robot

Minecraft:
    Every time I hear a developer talk about adding new features, reducing lag, or increasing player count, they always bring up adding or improving code. Is there written code somewhere in the game that makes the server function, or is it part of the command blocks, which I highly doubt. Also, if the code is part of the game, and if I may ask, whats the code's language? Please tell me if I have the completely wrong idea of what the devs are actually trying to explain.

2. Thunder

Thunder Chief Thunder HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    You should look into Java.

3: likes this.
  3. Chigo_

Chigo_ wtf is a chigo QA CHAMPION

Minecraft:
    minecraft has code I don't get how you didn't know that.

ThomAnn100 and 3: like this.
  4. Yuno F Gasai

Yuno F Gasai Forum God, FW

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    They are talking about the code for the plugins

5. GoodNermss

Minecraft:
    Like I said , I don't know how it really works. I honestly thought the game was just built on Java and I had no idea you can edit or add on to it. Goes to show how little I know about code :P. Thanks for clarifying.

6. DrBracewell

DrBracewell Famous Adventurer CT Manager QA Modeler GM CMD CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Basically there are these things called plugins. Plugins are made by the developers, and put into the game via an external platform (spigot/bukkit) these plugins are what make the spells function, the powders work, the weapons work. This is what is known as the code. This code is written in Java. Hope that helps ;)

7. GoodNermss

Minecraft:
    Danke, that explains everything, thanks!

8. DrBracewell

DrBracewell Famous Adventurer CT Manager QA Modeler GM CMD CHAMPION

Creator Karma:
    Guild:
    Minecraft:
    No problem!

9. 7Red_Dragon7

7Red_Dragon7 Try hard HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    someoone who actually helped nice

10. Poiu429

Poiu429 yote VIP+

Minecraft:
    Yes - specific features like spells, elements, I think the quest book, etc. Things that are faster, less buggy, and easier done than with command blocks.

There are things that command blocks do, like teleporting (not with scrolls, I don't think).

I'm not sure. It's for a custom (or multiple) plugin(s).

GoodNermss likes this.
  11. 01101001

01101001 01

Minecraft:
    May I add plugins can also be programmed in python and C#, though Java, I find, is the most efficient which means Wynncraft is probably using Java.

12. ReValor

ReValor No Life Trash VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Wynncraft is a very unique minecraft server because it is very heavily "modded" (not meaning traditional minecraft mods but instead simple changes to the game) The npc's have to be coded to say specific things at specific times, the player has to be coded to be able to use certain commands such as "R, R,R" (teleport) etc etc. A dev would have to tell you what language they use and how they use it their self. The most common languages are like what @01101001 said though.

Command blocks ARE used I know this for certain, just look at Craftmas Chaos quest.

13. 01101001

01101001 01

Minecraft:
    I believe command blocks are used (This is just 1 example) when you go into the black teleportation things which is probably what you are referring to in that quest.

14. Ascended Kitten

Ascended Kitten The Greatest HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Minecraft is java-only, and though wrappers for certain languages exist, it usually only makes sense to use Java, so that applies to Wynn as well.

Wynncraft uses a combination of what was mentioned; Of course the core is a plugin, responsible for all the items, weapons and the general system including quests.
    Command blocks are used for cutscenes and mostly "in-quest" effects, including teleports and of course puzzles.
    Recently however the quest system was expanded, and with the use of a script things can be done way more dynamically now. That includes "non-linear" quests (Examples are Hallowynn 2016 & Mixed Feelings) & moving NPCs and a lot more that will be shown soon.

Ackro likes this.
  15. HollaFoil

HollaFoil Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    "Can". There has to be atleast one part that is java, which is the main class(unless using some kind of magical server). The server only understands the java plug-ins so it can only load them up by "decompiling" (not sure if that is the right word here) jar files in a certain way to access it all. Meaning that it still is mostly a Java plug-in, no matter what you do.

16. ThomAnn100

ThomAnn100 I have reached peak intelligence VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    All the devs are lying, the server is entirely built on Redstone contraptions

17. Shanaaro

Shanaaro . HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    actually it's built on automated mob farms sending zombies to certain locations by baiting them with villagers. don't spread such lies in the future.

ThomAnn100 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.