Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Serious Debate: Was The Pre Gavel Item System Better?

Discussion in 'Nemract's Bar' started by Yuno F Gasai, Jul 24, 2017.

?

Which item system was better

1. Pre gavel

30.5%
  2. Gavel w/o powders

5.3%
  3. Gavel w/ powders

64.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuno F Gasai

Yuno F Gasai Forum God, FW

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I met a lot of players that agree with me that the pre gavel item system was better then the current one.
    Any objections?

SeaOfPoison, Gorax42, D7 and 2 others like this.
  2. bloww

bloww Shoutbox Fancam Account HERO

Minecraft:
    it wasnt necessarily better or worse; its just different and the new one much more interesting imo

LarzLapiz, Moss, T-Flex and 2 others like this.
  3. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    imo the pre gavel system encouraged you to be good at your class instead of being good by buying items

IndecisiveMax, Twin Lotus, D7 and 3 others like this.
  4. Thunder

Thunder Chief Thunder HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I found making a shop pre-gavel easier than now. I really miss it. :c

Yuno F Gasai likes this.
  5. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    And it got stale really quickly.

And if you don't have money? Dungeon items, they cost nothing.

6. bloww

Minecraft:
    but now it encourages you to be smart and choose your armour and weapon accordingly to your playstyle, not just picking whatever gives you the most defense/damage and slapping a green powder onto it

7. Drew1011

Drew1011 Former Viceroy of the Foxes / Reviver of Kingdoms HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    I don't like the change in player attitude it caused. Before the update, everyone at level 75 was practically equal. Everyone had their Bob's Mythic Weapon, their Adamantite, Stalags, Crystal, and Blue Mask. A duel between two endgame players was skill based.
    Now to be better than other players, all you have to do is make a lot of LE. If you have more money, you just buy better gear and use that to beat everyone.
    I think this has made the community very greedy. What happened to the days where Wynn discussions were primarily about quests, exploration, guilds, etc? Now most discussions are just about builds and what items to buy.
    I think the system somewhat encourages spending all your money on builds instead of improving your skill and becoming a better player.
    The item system is what has driven me away from Wynn. I hate just sitting around and listening to people discuss the boring items and builds. The only reason I stay is because of my love for guilds (even though they've been broken and neglected for over two years when guilds are usually a major part of MMORPGs).
    I digress.
    Maybe the community loves this new system, but I know that myself and many other old Wynncraft veterans can't stand what the new item system has done to the game we used to love so much.

tl;dr: pre Gavel was better, everyone is obsessed with LE now and build discussions are boring

8. AurumKitsune

AurumKitsune Queen of Phoenixes VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    although i agree with some of that
    i like the new item system because of the builds
    now its not just, i know exactly what this persons class can do and i know all the tricks to beat that class
    now you have to find out what that persons build is and you have to create a plan during the fight instead of already knowing what everyone has
    there is variety in builds now, yea it may require spending li to get some of the stuff but you dont have to, you can always grind in the level range of the item
    i do think that the stat distribution is kinda bad the ranges should be smaller so that ppl with the same build arent held back by luck or how much le they have, same problem applies to mythics

9. Stag2004

Stag2004 I lost my faith in humanity long time ago

Guild:
    Ore gavel was pick assasin one shot death with 2000% multihit

IndecisiveMax and SUPER M like this.
  10. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It was also a lot easier shopping for items
    Couldn't have said it better myself

SUPER M and Stag2004 like this.
  11. Stag2004

Stag2004 I lost my faith in humanity long time ago

Guild:
    Oh it was a bug I didnt played then someone told me that assasin was for vip only and had 2000% multihits

12. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    A couple stats were broken pre gavel
    Warriors had too much defense (they could go over 100%)
    Assassins had too much attack and defense (2000% multi hits)
    Archers had more defense than intended
    Only mages were as they were meant to be

Drew1011 and Stag2004 like this.
  13. bloww

Minecraft:
    not true at all, thats just because of mythics
    doing 20% less damage (assuming you dont have max ids) compared to another player (who has max ids) doesnt matter, however mythics deal easily 100% more damage than most other weapons (just look at wick/thrundacrack, morrowind/warp or spearmint/hero)
    if mythics werent a thing, the system would be pretty balanced tbh

TalkingKittyCat likes this.
  14. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Pre gavel you could grind your endgame set in a couple of months of barely playing or you could buy it for ~8le a piece.
    And 20% less damage is a lot

Drew1011 likes this.
  15. bloww

Minecraft:
    im failing to see how thats any different from the current system

what i meant was getting max ids on everything is irrelevant since when you get min ids you have like 500-1k less damage

16. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Currently to be the best (like no one ever was) requires you to spend dozens of stacks of Le where if it was pre gavel you would spend nine Le tops.
    If 1k is 20% of your damage after gavel you are doing something wrong

17. bloww

Minecraft:
    as i said before, thats not because of the system, just because of mythics
    an average armour set will cost like 10-40le (depending on ids and /or if its a high demand meta build) nowadays from what ive seen since hive items and dungeon rewards are a thing

stop being so nitpicky cmon

18. Yuno F Gasai

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    So let's ignore mythics (as I said when they were released you can balance an op item with rarity).
    Now there are so many items you throw away so many legendaries because they don't fit your build, also it feels legendaries are more common now so you feel less excited when you find one.
    When the damage difference comes down to 3k and above that can decide who wins a duel or a boss or a guild war

19. bloww

Minecraft:
    but people are already doing that
    what we need is a tier between legendary and mythic
    and mythic rebalance

thats true but you'd need literally min ids on everything, no powder special, etc.
    but as i said before not getting perfect ids on everything doesnt matter much since its a case of like 500 damage tops and your opponent wont have max ids either anyways
    also its pretty rare to see multiple people using the exact same build

20. Cruuk

Cruuk yopyop HERO

Minecraft:
    That got stale really quickly. And you can't really use PvP as a big argument, it's not Wynn's focus, it was always meant to be a PvE game. To me it was a necessary sacrifice, who knows, maybe they'll fix it.
    It also made playing a different class useless unless you only used it for a bank class or wanted to max out all classes, there's actually replayability now.
    Dungeon Items? You know, the items that are sort of comparable to Mythics but cost nothing?
    And? Were they not greedy before? Our economy wasn't exactly pleasant before Gavel, before Mythics you had vanity items which people obsessed over, Endgame stuff wasn't overly expensive because it was everywhere, and because LE wasn't incredibly inflated at the time, selling stuff for 8-15 LE was the equivalent of selling stuff for 30-50 LE. Buying is just more important, economy has always remained the same.
    And again, dungeon items, they technically cost nothing.
    It's still the Player's choice to go out and buy stuff, for example, I hardly ever buy stuff from players unless it's absolutely necessary. It's possible for a player to go through pretty much the whole game with Unique items only, and that's not even considering the smorgasbord of rare/legendary items you get from quests. You're never forced to buy Mythics, Mythics are mainly there for players who wish to dedicate their time to this game via trying their luck or making cash, it's kind of like 101. And yeah, the Mythic balancing is a bit of a mess but that's another topic.
    I'll be honest, I think guilds, in their current state, are a completely unnecessary feature and should be removed as fast as possible, of course, that wouldn't be the smartest thing to do, but I really think people should stop obsessing over them for the war stuff, using them to make a mini-community is fine with me, but people need to stop obsessing over a buggy piece of shit.
    Also, "boring builds"? I don't see pre-Gavel having much variety, having 1 type of "build" being the best is a terrible design choice in MMO's.
    Don't put us in the same boat now, I've been here since July 2013 and I love the current item system.
    I can understand that PvP/guild-oriented players may be upset, but the reason pre-Gavel Wynn was "better" was because it appealed more to PvP players. When really, Wynn was always meant to be a PvE-oriented game, which is a blessing for people like me, I fucking hate PvP. As for guilds, they were mainly added because literally everyone wanted them, and like PvP, it's currently a second thought.

I know @Pretzule has said that they hope to eventually focus on PvP/guilds, so there's that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.