Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Serious Identity

Discussion in 'Nemract's Bar' started by hmm, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmm

hmm girl who fucked ur mom last night

What is a gender. What the fuck is a gender. I've interrogated myself over this one question for what feels like eons. Who am I? Am I "male"? "Female"? "Foxkin from the forest planet"? How the fuck should I know? You're asking me to comprehend something that we haven't even known to exist until 1926. Am I really comfortable in my skin? It's especially hard to tell for me, because I'm extremely naturally androgynous. Most people realise they're trans because they're not comfortable with their masculinity or femininity; but I'm in a genderless purgatory. However, I absolutely dispise masculine features, for instance, facial hair, dominance, etc. Thus doesn't make me think that I'm a chick, though, because it just complicates the issue more. The fact that I might never know who I really am, what identity I take, how I fit in, horrifies me beyond the realm of imagination. It destroys me. It eats me up. I want to know who I am. I'm too curious. I ask too many questions, and consistently get answers in ancient Mesopotamian from my head in a confusing labyrinth composed of indistinguishable biological necessities and social constructs that constantly encroach on my very consciousness. I try to ignore it, and I do a hell of a good job doing it, but it sneaks up on me every day. Who am I? What am I? Why am I who I am? In a world so unfriendly to who I am as a person, will I ever find out? Will I ever be able to comfortably talk about it?
    I don't know.
    I hate that phrase. It drives me insane. The fact that I don't know means that I can't fix the problem. The nagging curiosity eats my soul, but it cannot be sated. It's lust for a conclusion that will never come tears me apart in a world that tears me apart. Why can't I be me.
    But who the hell am I? What IS "I"? What makes me feel like me, what makes me view the world from my perspective? Why is my consciousness on this shitty ass wet rock in a shitty ass solar system in this shitty ass galaxy (that isn't even that milky) in this shitty ass multiverse? Why do "I" feel so damned compelled to know? Maybe there is an answer. Maybe there is some sort of unobservable probability shift that messes with the universe. But we will never know, will we? It's impossible to tell.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. Happy New Year

Happy New Year Please bring the shoutbox back VIP+

Minecraft:

Anárion and Pancake like this.
  3. hmm

You're an alien how do you read that fast

4. Happy New Year

Happy New Year Please bring the shoutbox back VIP+

Minecraft:
    i didnt read

5. hmm

Oh.

6. TheLMiffy1111

TheLMiffy1111 Previous Leader Of A Revived Wynn Community CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    So you are sexually identified as a dank meme?

7. hmm

That last but was just a bit of edgy flair to the writing because it seemed boring.

8. JuicedBananas

JuicedBananas Famous Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Am I misinterpreting this or are you suggesting we discovered gender in 1926?

SpadenadeZ1 and -- like this.
  9. hmm

Discovered that gender is a seperate entity from sex.

10. Spu

Spu ✧ JUST A MEME ✧ CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Seems to me like you're getting confused with Gender and Gender Expression.

Gender is a very real thing that is a specific configuration of your brain. I'm no expert in biology, and especially not in neurology, but here's what I get from my understanding of it :
    • Sexual differenciations exist in the human species (sexual dimorphism)
    • Males and Females are exposed to different hormone quantities during their puberty
    • As such, the brain is growing under different influence in both male and female bodies.
    • The default configuration of the brain is female, with different degrees of masculinization and feminization in certain areas.
    • As such, male brains and female brains tend to act and react differently (specific tastes recurring in genders on a grand scale, specific mental illnesses, ect..)
    • Trans people are most likely a result of a rare birth defect that prevents the body or the brain to develop correctly, and thus, you end up with a very specific configuration that facilitates what we call gender dysphoria
    http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/44096/title/Sex-Differences-in-the-Brain/
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-there-something-unique-about-the-transgender-brain/

Gender expression, on the other end, is how you express your personnality according to gender stereotypes, a.k.a what most males and female act about.
    For example, butch women are women that are typically acting manly, that doesn't say anything on what gender they identify as.
    Same with flamboyant guys.

Since nobody is born without a gender innate to the brain, I think you're just a person who hates gender stereotypes. Not every man is going to be tough, drinking beer, and not every woman will be a valley girl annoyance thinking about clothes. I don't know if you notice, but unless you're talking to a walking stereotype, you won't usually think of that person's gender as a defining trait of their being. Which might be why some people find effeminate men/women so annoying.

Sounds to me like you need to talk to a psychologist about it. You seem to either develop a really unhealthy obsession about something that is trivial to most people, or you're actually trans (but given how you react to being perceived as a woman, I doubt that). My advice would be to talk to your parent or an adult and tell them you need to talk to somebody about personnal issues.

Sex is as separate from gender as alcoholism is separate from traffic accidents.
    Overwhelmingly, sex will influence your gender.

11. hmm

Thank you <3

SpadenadeZ1 and Spu like this.
  12. Banker

Banker Banker VIP

Minecraft:
    I assume you're referencing a scientific paper or something? I consider the fact that it was "discovered" in 1926 irrelevant since it's a social concept, can't be discovered/invented, and could have been conceived much earlier.

Hope you find yourself :)

-- and hmm like this.
  13. hmm

First recorded trans person.

Banker likes this.
  14. Spu

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Not a social concept tho

Gender roles might be a social concept but gender exists in our brains

15. Banker

Banker Banker VIP

Minecraft:
    Hence it's a social concept

16. Spu

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    It's as asinine as saying "Well since we separate people with cancer into a group, then I guess cancer itself has to purely be a social concept."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

Let me put it this way : Gender roles can differ from culture to culture, and from society to society, I don't think anybody would disagree on that.
    However, the configuration in your brain that I call gender doesn't change when you move from the US to the Middle East. Societal norms/expectations around the way you present yourself and how you act in public will be changed drastically.

Gender itself may as well include both aspects of it (physical and societal), but I personally separate gender roles and gender itself, to avoid confusion (and also because a broader definition isn't as pertinent.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_role

hmm and Banker like this.
  17. Endertricity

Endertricity Assorted Mini Quiche VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    My friend has synesthesia.
    This means that to her, among other things, all letters, numbers, and even weekdays have personalities. Included in that is some sort of gender system. On the left side is male, and on the right is female- and everything is on this spectrum. C is like 70% male, and Q is almost entirely on the female side (even though Q is a deep blue). I think of this that this is how gender expression works, and you're in the dead center. At this point, your sex doesnt matter to you, but neither gender appeals too. For people as well as the letters/numbers/whatever else, the same thing applies: You may be born female, but your gender could be 100% male, as gender is a social construct and not biological.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    hmm likes this.
  18. hmm

I wouldn't say that Gender is undoubtedly societal. Not even Trans people seem to be sure, from the looks of it.

19. Spu

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Just because trans people exist doesn't mean that it logically follows that gender is only a social construct.
    People have been finding brain patterns that are more common in males, females, and both, that kinda trumps the idea that you're proposing here.

But you made a claim so go ahead, I'm curious as to what your reasonning might be.

hmm likes this.
  20. hmm

And then he never went ahead...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.