Dismiss Notice
Wynncraft, the Minecraft MMORPG. Play it now on your Minecraft client at (IP): play.wynncraft.com. No mods required! Click here for more info...

Build Temple Of Legends Dvz Map

Discussion in 'Your Work' started by Shovel, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shovel

Shovel Follower of Tolvanism HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Hey! It's MoS here, probably someone you haven't seen in awhile. A lot of my friends play the server Dwarves vs. Zombies, which I believe some of you are familiar with. Recently we started working on a new map, which if you couldn't tell already, took SOME inspiration off of Wynn.

Without further ado, here's our current progress! (Imgur album if you prefer it!)

[​IMG]
    Monster Spawn (Needs some work, I know.)

[​IMG]
    View of Monster Spawn towards the Temple

[​IMG]
    A few bridges off to the side. Good, extra, out of the way paths for monsters to traverse.

[​IMG]
    Current view of the front wall. (We'll be working on this again sometime later.)

[​IMG]
    The Obelisk Shrine. (The money shot of the build thus far!)

[​IMG]
    Waterfall off to the side. (There's a few others in the area, but low and behold...)

[​IMG]
    What else to put behind the falls other than a gold mine?

[​IMG]
    Last but not least, a good overview of the outside area!
    I started the project back in May with a friend, but we ended up taking a long hiatus during the build. Come a month ago, Zero joined in and we really managed to pick up the pace. Everything is bedrocked behind the walls, because otherwise it can end up with the build being unusable!

If you'd like any other proof as to that we did indeed make this, I also put up a few build log videos. You can take a look below if you're interested. Other than that, just wanted to see what the community thought of it!

2. AndriX3S

AndriX3S \\☢☣ Jägermeister ☣☢// VIP

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Well the cave culd youse some work and and the mountains look rly empty add some stuff (trees bushes) and add to some stone to it cus now it looks like a big hill of dirt. Outherways it looks rly cool!

3. Minitinipower

Minitinipower just a guy

Minecraft:
    You could work a bit more on the bridges and the bid purple roof is a bit to straight, make it curve out or in. That's only what I think you could have done better, but other than that it's great!

4. Choo

Choo Well-Known Adventurer

Minecraft:
    63/100.

Overall it looks pretty good, but here are some flaws I see:
    Misuse of landscape, the theme and your main builds do not go well together, there are around 4 spikes in your nether zone, all really closed together from the portal, that's it? Wynn's build of the nether has lava, shrines, caverns, lots of detail and more, so for this I'm just saying that you should expand and leave really good details on your main areas.

I think your gold mine lacks detail, a lot, suggest adding crates of gold/extra, fenced off areas, blown up areas, jackpots, roof detail, extra caverns (etc)! Just imagine an actual mine, not the ones you see in minecraft.

If your build was smaller, your 63 might have turned smaller, what am I saying? I'm just saying that you have really big and wonderful detail for your big layout, you have included: Bridges, shrines, bushes, custom trees, well detailed mountains, and more. But I would suggest making this more wildlife, bonemeal some parts and make custom and beautiful looking gardens, most preferably around your path.

I hope you take this into consideration!

Shovel likes this.
  5. Shovel

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Really glad to see the detailed explanation! With DvZ, I have to bedrock just about everything, and caves aren't an exception. Mob spawn I really need to do some work on; we've just mostly been concerned about the layout part first and I haven't touched it much past the portal and editing the area in WorldPainter. Still a lot better than Ancient Grove so far, so I'm happy.

6. The One-eyed Guy

The One-eyed Guy that guy VIP+

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Cool! I don't really play DVZ but this still looks neat anyways!

7. dtyn8

dtyn8 Retired map-maker

:O DvZ!?! I didn't think anyone in the Wynn community played that apart from me!! Well, seeing as I'm a DvZ fan I should probably say something constructive on your build...

Looks nice, and by "DvZ map standard" it looks above fantastic. The mine design feels fresh and original for the game, if you really wanted to improve on it you could (as mentioned) add a tiny bit more detail, but for DvZ it'd do as it is. The portal looks nice too, and I think the spikes looks perfect as they are, no more no less.

Be wary that the admins are really into game design and not so much aesthetics, but obviously a map that looks good (like this one ) will get picked over something that doesn't look so good.

Maybe add a collapsed bridge for monsters to parkour over?

But yeah, looks pretty neat! Hope it gets past Old Man Willakers and Nisovin and I get to play on it sometime!! (I'll think of this thread and the behind the scenes videos when I do!)

8. LeeLegion

LeeLegion Well-Known Adventurer HERO

Minecraft:
    Its absolutely amazing! although the caves and bridges could use a bit more detail..

9. Paladin A'renos

Paladin A'renos High Grand Master of the Ordo Malleus HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    MoS, :P remember me

im that one guy who did the rebellion, and was super rich on lom

10. Rane022

Rane022 Computer Crazy

As a DvZ player, this looks amazing. I hope you try to get Rob to see it on reddit or something.

11. Shovel

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Yes, I do, don't worry~ Also, practically everyone is rich from all the job changes Rob and Nisovin made.

I know this; I posted an earlier screenshot before and he liked it, but there's so many maps lately the small details make a big difference as well.

dtyn8 likes this.
  12. Paladin A'renos

Paladin A'renos High Grand Master of the Ordo Malleus HERO

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    remember how we created the rebellion, well i kinda used that idea and all the things we had to create the Ordo Malleus alliance checkit out

13. Devourer

Devourer Lava Warrior VIP+

Minecraft:
    All of us who play Wynn and DvZ should have a get together around Christmas and play a game together.
    *gets anti-krungor kit* and if you get hero I will protect you.

Now to analyse this build.

First Picture/Area (Mob Spawn): 5/10
    Now don't get me wrong - I really like the mob spawn. But why did I rate it with a 5? Well, it just doesn't have the feel of the mob spawn. Maybe make the mob spawn area have more netherrack, mycelium and other 'corrupted' or 'evil' blocks. Also, the trees have nothing to do with the monsters. Trees are meant to be things full of life, not hate and death! Maybe make the trees have no leaves or replace them entirely with more spires or 'corrupted trees'.

Second Picture/Area (Path to Mob Spawn): 10/10
    I really like the path. Of course, near to the mob spawn I'm guessing the is more 'corruption' but this is amazing building. I love the custom trees and the landscape. This would be a really good place for the front walls. Reminds me a bit of the entrance to the forgotten mines (not in Wynn, in DvZ) except it is more hilly. This is also the sort of place I would love to start the game in, procing everything that comes near me and sniping skellies while running to my next targets.

Third Picture/Area (Side paths): 8/10
    Just what is needed on any DvZ map - side paths to make those monsters who like to use interesting tactics. I love the trees and the landscape once again. However, the underside of that water tunnel looks very basic. The bridges themselves also lack the colour they need to make them look good. Maybe add some different types of wood to them?

Fourth Picture/Area (Front Wall): 8/10
    Good... the major wall (because of course, people always build walls on the paths themselves. This is where all the archers might be). I like the pillars a lot and the trees are great. I somehow feel like this wall is going to become the Paladirnoom second wall (the wall which is actually going to be the one that was made by the builders themselves, not the players) - basically the mobs focus all their power on the first wall so that by the time the dwarves retreat to this one, they are powerful enough to destroy it really easily.

Fifth Picture/Area (Obelisk Shrine): 9/10
    Reminds me of one of the old maps. I killed Bruce on something that looked like this in an area which looked like this. No, I'm not saying it's bad. In fact, it should be interesting to have something like this. I can't wait to see this when it is finished. And I'm guessing those are tools I see there. Nice work!

Sixth Picture/Area (Waterfall): 7/10
    I can't see much of what this is like... but I can see that this is fantastic! I love the overhang with the dirt, though maybe add a bit of stone to that. The trees are, however, a bit... cubed? I guess you could call it on top.

Seventh Picture/Area (Mines): 4/10
    I like the idea of having mines hidden behind a waterfall. Luckily there is a compass to lead you to these things! Lots of gold on the walls and ceiling is annoying. This is the main reason why my favourite map is actually plains. Also, the walls are very flat and that combination of blocks... it just doesn't agree with me. We see in the video that there is another set of mines. Though I don't like how this secret chamber looks, I like the idea. The other mines seem to balance the amount of gold which is good, as long as the dwarves find both, which is a problem everyone knows from forgotten mines.

Eighth Picture/Area (Overview): 7/10
    Those rivers and the building are great. I think, though I'm not sure, that I can see a possible gravel pit area in the bottom-left. I will comment on the top of the trees once again - I love the bottom of the tree and the roots of trunk but I just don't like the cubed shape of the top. I can get a better idea of the nether... but is that dirt for the ground? Dirt isn't very good for a material of open ground. Yes, you haven't used it for all the blocks as we see in the video... but it shouldn't really be used for ground material at all. I would have used mycelium instead of this but it is your build so choose what you want, except dirt, for the ground. Also, great terrain.

Overall Score (rounded out of ten): 7/10
    While there are some areas which need quite a bit of work on/don't fit DvZ playstyles, I quite like this... I'll enjoy seeing the inside.

Shovel and dtyn8 like this.
  14. Kahsol

Kahsol Local Serial Liker CHAMPION

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    u wot

15. Gaspode41

Gaspode41 Well-Known Adventurer VIP

Minecraft:
    I think that the outside looks great!

16. Shovel

Guild:
    Minecraft:
    Hey! Between now and when I posted the original pictures of the map, I started adding some of the things that you all recommended I do to make the map look prettier. The most major difference, for now, are the mountains.

[​IMG]
    General idea of how the terrain looked before.

[​IMG]
    Difference between stone on the mountains compared to the masses of dirt from before!
    Zero and I are pretty happy with how it looks so far, so we'll likely continue the trend all the way around. If you have anything to add, please do tell!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.